Swim Bladder Problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
One of the new shubunkin babies from late last year is now about 2" long. A real pretty fish but it can only swim with its head up. It swims across the surface with its head on the surface and its body hanging down. Its swim motion is odd too. I have looked and all of its fins are normal and the body is ok too. I have seen swim bladder problems when a fish that floats on its side or can not dive but this is really weird. It is like it does not have a swim bladder. It does swim down to the bottom and eat off the bottom so it can dive but it swims with its head up and body down.

Anyone have any ideas if this is something I need to treat or just let it live its life swimming weird?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
All the tricks and tips have not helped this pretty little fish. I am afraid he was born with a deformed or missing swim bladder. I intend to let him live and enjoy his life as he swims head up and proud into the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
All the tricks and tips have not helped this pretty little fish. I am afraid he was born with a deformed or missing swim bladder. I intend to let him live and enjoy his life as he swims head up and proud into the future.

I have an Oranda that has swim bladder issues, too. My fav aquatic vet did an ultrasound on him and his swim bladder isn't where it should be. My little Tiger oranda is also super small for his age. He can swim around the bottom of the tank, but can't go to the surface. My goldies are in a 500 gallon stock tank with a built in slide. I place the sinking pellets on the slide and place Tiger on top twice a day so I know he's eating enough. I can post the ultrasound if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I have an Oranda that has swim bladder issues, too. My fav aquatic vet did an ultrasound on him and his swim bladder isn't where it should be. My little Tiger oranda is also super small for his age. He can swim around the bottom of the tank, but can't go to the surface. My goldies are in a 500 gallon stock tank with a built in slide. I place the sinking pellets on the slide and place Tiger on top twice a day so I know he's eating enough. I can post the ultrasound if anyone is interested in seeing it.
please post it. that would be very interesting.

Ask a Question