Swim Bladder question(s)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
  1. If the "green pea" treatment is going to work, about how long does it take?
  2. Some articles I've read said to feed the peas uncooked, and some say to feed them cooked? Is there a rationale either way?
  3. Should you fast the fish before feeding the peas, and if so, for how long?
  4. And when I bring the fish indoors for treatment and observation, how long AFTER it resolves can I put her back in the pond?

I have a Ryukin that lives in the pond with the rest of my GF. She [because the fish looks pregnant :) ] occasionally has swim bladder issues and when this has happened in the past, she's either gotten over it on her own, or I've brought her inside for a while until it resolved. I have her inside now and have given her several meals of peas. I was originally going to ask "how do you know when the peas have done their trick," but when I looked at her this morning, THAT fact was obvious as she no longer looked about to POP, and was swimming better.

Reaction score
If my fish look floaty I just throw in some uncooked thawed peas that I smush between my fingers. They are fine again within a couple days. What exactly is the problem with your fish? Just seem constipated?

Oh wait now I see everything seems fine. Im glad.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If my fish look floaty I just throw in some uncooked thawed peas that I smush between my fingers. They are fine again within a couple days. What exactly is the problem with your fish? Just seem constipated?

Oh wait now I see everything seems fine. Im glad.

Probably just constipated -- all bloated out. The Ryukins have that "balloon" look, anyway. Yeah, she'll float around and do all kinds of gymnastics -- sometimes it's cute 'cause she can do a flip and get at a piece of food before the other fish do, but sometimes it's sad when she just.....can't.....quite.....reach.....that.....piece that's on the bottom.....flap....flap.....flap....

I was giving everyone peas the other day, and she ate some, but after a couple of days was still a bubble, so I decided to bring her inside so she could have exclusive access to the peas. She's making a mess in my 20 gal. tank and I still have a few babies in there.....

EDITED: As a post-script, I wouldn't advise putting fish like Ryukins in the pond with other regular goldfish. While this little girl of mine is surviving quite well (she's obviously getting enough to eat, LOL), there is the chance that they will miss out on food opportunities. But mostly because when they do get into trouble, it's easy to miss out on the signs when they're in the pond with a bunch of other fish. Then, if the peas don't work, there's the issue of having to catch them -- all very stressing to the fish! She was one of my first fish purchases when the pond was new & I didn't know any of this yet.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Some goldfish have been bred well away from the norm of what the original goldfish looked like , its a man made problem with goldfish that suffer this problem , think about it because of our breeding away from the norm thus all the fishes organs arent quite in the right place and are a bit squashed up :(.
This leads to the swimbladder problems that we see :(.
Green peas should be feed after you take the shell off straight from frozen to do this put the drozen peas in some warm water and they will defrost once you have deshelled the pea it is ready to feed and doesnt require any cooking .(y)
Add chopped earthworm to their feed they both have a laxative effect on you fish and after passing the contents of its Stomach and intestines your goldfish shouldbe able to swim about in the water table with no problems whatsoever .:)

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Diesel & Dave. Raw peas -- sounds easier. I've been cooking my frozen peas (microwave in water for 2 minutes).

@Dave54 I think ground earthworms would have a laxative effect on me, too.......

Ask a Question