Swimming Pond Bottom Slippery!! Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Y'all!

I need some help!! I have a NSP in my backyard, built last year. EPDM liner, no rocks on the bottom. Two depth levels, (5.5 ft. deepest, 3ft shallow area, plants divided by block wall.) Biofilter with UV sterilizer.

I was walking around the shallows yesterday carrying a lily to divide and slipped so hard, lily went flying, I went flying, almost hit my face on the concrete block dividing wall!!!!

I know most theories on pea pebbles are that it's a big no-no, but how else can I walk around without busting my a$$?!? We are also planning to have friends over to swim and I don't want to be responsible for broken noses/faces/etc.

It's would just be for the shallow swimming area. It's also difficult to go from the ladder to the shallows without slipping. Any thoughts on alternatives?? I uploaded a pic of where they'd need to go. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• You_Doodle_2017-08-10T16_33_49Z.jpg
    You_Doodle_2017-08-10T16_33_49Z.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 372

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
even pea gravel will be slippery .it not only will move under your feet but it will get muck on it and be more slippery

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The socks with the little rubber gripping things on the bottom would work .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
you can use any anti-slip deep grooved concrete tiles or rubber matting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Felt sole wading boots at Cabelas are less than the cost of a nice pair of shoes. That's what I use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Could you find a large roll of non-slip bathtub grip stuff? I had one from a yard sale, so I know it's out there. It had a sticky back that stays stuck. The strips were an inch or so wide and I think the roll must have been 50' long.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Could you find a large roll of non-slip bathtub grip stuff?

I think even this would grow a layer of slippery stuff as it stays submerged. Your bathtub goes through cycles of wet and dry, so it doesn't grow algae on the surface. Pond liner isn't slippery either when it's dry. Nor is it all that slippery when it's newly wet - but give it a few days and it's a veritable slip and slide!

Reaction score
Country
United States
we have the same problem: “Slippery” liner bottom. Wondering if anyone has ever tried putting in some thin outdoor carpet? i’m thinking, it could be cut to rough fit the bottom. it might stop the slippage and could be taken out occasionally , and hosed down to keep the muck from collecting on the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What is NSP? Natural swimming pond?
Are there any fish or plants in there? If not, why not treat it like a swimming pool. Chlorine and algaecide? Or is that the point, not to add chemicals? Not sure what is going on here....

Ask a Question