Swimming with the Fishes

Reaction score
I was curious to hear if any of you have actually gone into your pond for a swim with your finny pets?

I don't mean going in up to your knees because you're cleaning things out, I mean really gotten in there and sat down and let your fish come to you, etc.

My 7-year old is dying to go in for a dunk with them to see what will happen. I confess I've thought about it too. Of course, the pond floor is super slippery with its algae coating now, so I'm worried one of us will slip and step on the bottom drain and break something. But, I'm leaning towards giving it a try soon and see how the fish will react.

Anyone gone in for a dunk?

Reaction score
I have, but that is to clean out my bottom drain of string algae, rearrange pots, etc.

Last year the babies were biting me, well they'd grab on and twist. It actually hurt.

I wear "crocks" when going in, so it isn't as slippery. I also try not to "walk", as I do have trapdoor snails, don't want to crush any.

The fist couple of times the fish would stay away, now they don't mind as much. Can almost pet them, but they don't stick around long for that.

Reaction score
Hmmm! I hadn't thought of using crocs. I've got a flashy pair of pink ones and another lime green pair that will probably scare the bejeezus outta the fish! But I could try that to get a bit of traction. I've heard that babies will actually grab on to leg hair and pull (if you're a guy). Luckily I'm a chick who shaves. LOL!

I did buy myself a cheap pair of chest waders off Ebay just in case I'd have to go into the pond in chilly temps, but I may have to put on my crocs and go for a dip!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I did see a guy a couple of years back on a site I was lurking on. I cant remember which. But the title was the same as yours, and he had pictures of him in the pond treading water with the fish around him. Pretty cool.

Reaction score
My boys 8 and 10 years old got in my pond to take out the rocks. After that mission was accomplished, I let things settled down for a few days and then the boys got back in JUST BECAUSE they liked it. I was amazed that the fish did come up to them if they were really still. They bug me all the time to get in again.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well..i cant swim perse' .. but i go in my pond to prune plants & such, and my fish always greet me...and the little guys try to eat the hair on my legs, iassume because they tickle me to laughter sucking & puling on it.

Reaction score
We have a long rope permanently tied to our lower pond deck.
Cliff pulls it out and uses it when he goes into the pond. He just holds onto
the rope as he walks. It also aids in getting in and out of the pond.
He walks all around holding onto the rope. It's a great safety measure.
When not in use he tucks it under the deck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I get in mine a lot. The fish always come up to me. And the bigger Koi, I can actually run my hand down their sides. My pond is off my deck, so they are use to me. The grand kids get in there also. Some how, after they get out, I always have to top it off ...
At least the plants around the pond get watered.

Reaction score
A few years ago I had no choice but to go swimming with the fish. I returned home from our vacation to find that the bottom drain was clogged with hornwort. The temperature was 99 and because there was no water circulation my poor fish were at the surface gasping for air. That orange hose in the photo is an air hose from a compressor in the garage. It temporarily aerated the pond until I was able to remove the obstruction from the bottom drain.

Pondfix003.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
koikeepr said:
Most interesting, Sunshine! Thank you for sharing your experiencing. It's inspiring me to go in for a dunk!

I say .... Go for it !!!!! You'll enjoy it. And your pond is way bigger than mine. You can do a lot more swimming. Mine, it's mostly walking around. But, I do enjoy it. And I think the fish do too.

Ask a Question