Switch from home-built filtering/pumping system to store bought?

Reaction score
My ex did not want our home so I inherited our approx 6500 gal pond, which I love. It has been clean and clear the last few years, and is looking really good, but the filtering system is pretty much ready to fall apart. I am attaching a couple pics to show you what I am working with.

There is a skimmer basket with a filter that leads to the pump holding area...then there is a bigger filter also leading to the pump filter area. There is also a sand filter. I tried to mark everything on the pic. My ex was really good at rigging and designing things to work with very little money. Hence, the 5-gal bucket for one filter, a big plastic bin for the larger filter, a pool filter, etc.

It has worked pretty good all these years, but the big filter (the 2'x3") is ready to fall apart. I have to pull the big filter out once a week to hose it down and it is basically being held together with plastic ties. The outside has been repeatedly screwed back together. And I struggle pulling it up and out and cleaning it. The inside of the filter needs to be replaced every so often and it's a huge problem for me.

So.... I am thinking of selling the house and want my pond filter/pump system to be easier for the potential buyers. I also want it to be easier for me to clean. I think I may be able to find a welder/fabricator to make a new housing for that larger filter, but don't know if I should go that route or get the whole system replaced.

Any ideas? Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Don't know what to do! Thanks so much. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• filter system.jpg
    filter system.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 376
  • pond 3.jpg
    pond 3.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome_3.gif
to our group. I don't use store made filters, but I am sure some that do will chime in.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome. My pond is 2200 gall. I use a store bought pressure filter with built in UV light. I find it easy to clean and it seems to be doing a good job. Its only 8 months old, so I don't know how it will stand up. I have it in a shady place so its not in direct sunlight at any time. It still looks brand new. I've opened it up once to do a big cleaning and it wasn't that bad inside, so I guess the back washing process (built into the system) works just fine.

Reaction score
Could you tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes? Should I leave the system as it is as it is working OK...and then get the
welcome_3.gif
to our group. I don't use store made filters, but I am sure some that do will chime in.
Thanks for the welcome... I don't necessarily want to use a store made filter, but what would you do if you wanted to replace that 2x3 mechanical filter? That's my main concern. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello and welcome. My pond is 2200 gall. I use a store bought pressure filter with built in UV light. I find it easy to clean and it seems to be doing a good job. Its only 8 months old, so I don't know how it will stand up. I have it in a shady place so its not in direct sunlight at any time. It still looks brand new. I've opened it up once to do a big cleaning and it wasn't that bad inside, so I guess the back washing process (built into the system) works just fine.
Thanks for the welcome, Priscilla... I'll look into the pressure filter.

Reaction score
Oh my COOL!!! I love your pond!! What is that waterfall rock? I'm amazed!
Thanks Lisa... I believe my ex used chicken wire, mortar with a bonding or strengthening agent of some sort and formed it freehand. The fall area, including the boulders he made, has remained without any problems for about five years, so he did a great job. The rocks he made that were on the other side have basically fell apart through the years and I replaced them with Florida lime rock (I think he used regular cement? not sure...don't think they had that "special additive" to make them stronger and withstand the heat and elements). Hope that helps. I appreciate the compliment. Anne

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome from Plymouth in the UK on a beautiful sunny day :happy:
Why not just copy the old filters design , you know its worked for a long time without a hitch .
Some of the multibay systems are quite expensive to buy :-

http://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat595.html

I'm using a UK website to give you an idea of the proper systems to run a pond your size , as you can see they are £550.00 UK upwards .....
I would go so far as to hazzard a guess yours would be around £800-£950, so that the best part of £1,000 UK spent just getting things right for the new home owners, "Who lets face it may not want a pond and fill it in selling the koi and new filtration unit at a profit to them",,,
So to me thats one hell of allot of US dollars spent ,so its by far cheaper to make a copy of its original filtration ....
I hope this helps you Anne?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Dave! I'll check out the links. I probably should find a welder/fabricator to make a frame for the filter and just leave it be. But again, thinking of selling and right now the way it is, you have to have pretty steady legs and good upper body strength to pull that mechanical filter out and up to the top for cleaning. Thanks for taking the time to write and send the links. I appreciate it! :eek:) Anne

Reaction score
Oh my COOL!!! I love your pond!! What is that waterfall rock? I'm amazed!
I thought for sure I answered your question the other day....but must have forgot to actually post it. :p Thanks for your compliment, Lisa.

I believe that my ex used chicken wire and mortar with an additive to mold the waterfall. I know for the boulders that you can see in the waterfall area, he used the chicken wire, styrofoam and the cement or mortar with an additive. He was and is very talented. Thanks again. Anne

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Dave! I'll check out the links. I probably should find a welder/fabricator to make a frame for the filter and just leave it be. But again, thinking of selling and right now the way it is, you have to have pretty steady legs and good upper body strength to pull that mechanical filter out and up to the top for cleaning. Thanks for taking the time to write and send the links. I appreciate it! :eek:) Anne
Think nothing of it Anne , its just a shame your wanting to sell koi are so healing and graceful if you let them be "mine saved my life 27 years ago" to which both Val my partner and I are so very greatful and we just love everything about them, spending many hours by the pond in the summer just watching them :happy:

Dave

Ask a Question