Switching from current filter to bog

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I currently have an external pressure filter that has been running for about a year. Im building a bog that is oversized for my pond and want to know if it will be a problem when I switch from a "bacteria colonized" filter to a new bog? should i plan to leave the pressure filter running for a couple weeks after my bog gets going to give the bog time to catch up before shutting the filter down?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It can’t hurt to leave it. Really depends on your pond and how it’s setup whether it is necessary, or doesn’t matter.Keep in mind every wet surface in your pond has biofilm on it which contains bacteria and is part of the biological filter. I completely redid my bog a few years back, and it was the filter on the pond and had no issues because of all the surface area in my pond for bacteria to colonize, rocks, sand etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I like " belts and suspenders". Why not leave it up and running until your bog is matured? More filtration never hurts.

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I like " belts and suspenders". Why not leave it up and running until your bog is matured? More filtration never hurts.
Thats kinda what im thinking also. I just didnt know if i was overthinking it or not. If it wont hurt anything, better safe than sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I left my biofilter running for a week or so after I put my bog in late last summer. I don't think I needed to, but I didn't see any problems from it either. Welcome to the bog club.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I went straight to bog, but I have never had any bought filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It can't hurt to run both, as long as your plumbing easily allows that.

When I added my bog I immediately got rid of my two pressure filters and UV light.
My water was thick green, like pea soup.
Within a week of running the new bog, my water was clear....and that was before the bog plants had even settled in and matured.

Reaction score
Country
United States
it will usually take 6 to 12 months for the bog to work,,leave your filter running for at least 6 months

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it will usually take 6 to 12 months for the bog to work,,leave your filter running for at least 6 months
Mine started working within 2 weeks, new pond, new bog, new plants. Clear water. Even after being off all winter, it clears the murky winter water within 3ish days.

Prob depends on the size of the bog etc

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hard to tell, temps make a difference, the plants do and the fish load also. Do you feed a lot or not etc etc

Ask a Question