Symptoms - Big Koi

Reaction score
We recently added some big koi fish to our big pond. The white one was fine for a couple weeks but now it's starting to get lazy and just sitting at the bottom. We noticed some redness in his back fin and some very light yellowish-brown spots on his face. Some of the other fish have been acting funny too like jumping out of the water which is abnormal. What other possible diseases could our fish have and some possible solutions to the problem? If were treating for ick now what should we go to next?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome!

Can you give us some more information about your pond set-up, size, filtration, # of fish, water test results, etc.? How long has the pond been up, did you quarantine the new fish? The more info, the better.

Reaction score
Can you give us some more information about your pond set-up, size, filtration, # of fish, water test results, etc.? How long has the pond been up, did you quarantine the new fish? The more info, the better.

Thanks! The pond is about 10x18x3[sup]1/2 [/sup]- 3500ish galons - so its a decent sized pond. We have a waterfall off of one side and a small little water fall to the other so the water is always flowing. We have an oxygenator in the middle of the pond and are using Bioball filtration system. We've been working on it since Spring. The water testing is:

PH Level is at an 8
Nitrite is at 0.25
Amonia is at 0.5
Nitrate is at 5.0

We do have some Cannas flowers in the pond and half of it is covered in these Hyiances(?) plants they're kind of like lilly pads but not and apparently the fish eat off the roots of it. On another note some of the smaller fish must have had babies (not sure if this means some fish are comfortable and some aren't). All our fish seem to have the rapid movement thing and we've seen the big Koi and the smaller fish jump out of the water.

I did some googly searching and found it might be Bacterial Hemorrhagic Septicemia but not 100% sure. Like I said were currently treating our pond for Ick.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Check your pond temp. If the water is over 82 discontinue Ick treatment. It's unnecessary. the jumping and flashing can be a sign of water condition and irritation from parasite outbreak. The Ick medication will have little effect on most other parasites. Salt would be a good idea but i think a salt bath would be better than treating the pond with salt. that could really upset the balance. The Bacteria Septicemia needs to be identified by microscope. If it is it needs one kind of treatment. If not then that med. needs to try and be avoided. It can really reck havoc on Bio-filtration.
Your water parametrs aren't that bad but there are some red flags of concern. Ammonia .5 Nitrate 5.0. This is started get to get on the dangerous side. Nirtite also slightly elevated and could be some of the symptons on the original large koi with the redness. I would start by water changes and removing all bottom waste possible. try and locate a Vet, Koi club, someone that has a microscope and can take a skin and gill scraping and really identify what is wrong. Also prepare a Hospital/ holding tank. might need it if your going to really treat the fish. Kiddy pool will work, deeper is better, needs ample air. Pond water can be used to hold or move out, clean water needs declornited and ammonia locked can be used if doing a dip, bath, or treatment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks! The pond is about 10x18x31/2 - 3500ish galons - so its a decent sized pond. We have a waterfall off of one side and a small little water fall to the other so the water is always flowing. We have an oxygenator in the middle of the pond and are using Bioball filtration system. We've been working on it since Spring. The water testing is:

PH Level is at an 8
Nitrite is at 0.25
Amonia is at 0.5
Nitrate is at 5.0

We do have some Cannas flowers in the pond and half of it is covered in these Hyiances(?) plants they're kind of like lilly pads but not and apparently the fish eat off the roots of it. On another note some of the smaller fish must have had babies (not sure if this means some fish are comfortable and some aren't). All our fish seem to have the rapid movement thing and we've seen the big Koi and the smaller fish jump out of the water.

I did some googly searching and found it might be Bacterial Hemorrhagic Septicemia but not 100% sure. Like I said were currently treating our pond for Ick.
If this was Septicemia I would Quarentine the koi with the symptoms keeping it away from all the other koi till it passes then nuke the QT facility, but you also say it mat be ich.
You really need to take a scrape off your koi and checked under a microscope just what parasite your up against???
If not for future reference ask the dealership to do it for you.
What was the result of all this I'm interested to know ?
Thank you

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question