Tadpoles all dead

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Was away for a week, left daughter home to care for beagles. Got back and found she left garden hose running 3 days straight. Shut the hose off that evening when I got home (she was only supposed to add a little to top it off). The next day, came home from work and found every tadpole dead, likely from the chlorine and not from the 100F heat (I'm thinking). The algea was bleached white and the floater plants were bleached as well. Arrowheads, grasses and snails survived so that's good news. We had not yet installed the floater, unfortunately.

Mildly depressed and understand now what some of you must feel when your fish die an unnatural death. Hope next year the frogs return. I don't even hear them at night anymore.

Dave

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Thats a bummer. I lost 30 fish that way a couple years back. I was depressed for a week. It took me 6 months before I wanted anything to do with it. Totally shut it down. Glad to say things are better then before except I made the pond smaller.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You need a water timer for 30 dollars it gives a lot of piece of mind .I bought one because I forget and I am on a well .Hate to see your water bill oh dear .The frogs will be back I have so many and after the storm yesterday, they were so noisy last night you could not hear yourself talk

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can get them even cheaper than that around 9 bucks at home depot, I have one on every hose

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The one I have was 30 because you can hook 4 hoses to it ,sorry forgot about that thanks addy ,geeze here I'm making them sound expensive

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol is ok sissy, with our well really careful with water.

My renters in arizona, their kid turned on the hose forgot about it...........water bill $450.00

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh geeze thats terrible think I would have fainted .Back in NJ highest water bill I ever got was 50 dollars but then that was for 6 months

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Dave that is sad about your tadpoles. Glad I have well water. I always set my stove timer when I'm putting in large amounts of water. I also have my hose to the pond set to fill for 15mins each day on a hose timer to keep pond topped off. Fish love it as the sprayer on the end shoots the water in and makes bubbles for them to play in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
addy I hope you don't pay the water bill at your rental in Arizona :lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
addy I hope you don't pay the water bill at your rental in Arizona :cool:

No I don't thankfully, it would break the bank, they are not that careful with water.

Ask a Question