Tadpoles everywhere!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Do you know if they are toads or frogs? I usually get a lot of toad tadpoles and my koi don't eat their eggs. The tadpoles don't seem to stay very long.....they must develop quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If I were to guess, I'd say they are frogs. They are black and only about a 1/4" long including their big head and wiggly tail. They're all hanging around the edges of the pond. I have seen at least 4 frogs in and around the pond for a couple months and I can hear them singing right now as I'm typing. There's a toad that's been living by the house. He's been there for a couple weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If I were to guess, I'd say they are frogs. They are black and only about a 1/4" long including their big head and wiggly tail. They're all hanging around the edges of the pond. I have seen at least 4 frogs in and around the pond for a couple months and I can hear them singing right now as I'm typing. There's a toad that's been living by the house. He's been there for a couple weeks.
That sounds like toads to me. If what you're hearing is 'singing' (long, whistling call) that's a male toad. Frogs make a variety of their own noises, but generally more low-pitched & 'croak' like.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get tons of eggs and tad poles, the toads jump out pretty fast. The tree frogs also jump out fast. The green frogs wait until next year to leave the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That sounds like toads to me. If what you're hearing is 'singing' (long, whistling call) that's a male toad. Frogs make a variety of their own noises, but generally more low-pitched & 'croak' like.
Oh, OK, they must be toads then because their singing sounds like whistling from afar. Up close it's a little more croak like. They are small and stay around and in the pond. I thought toads would just stay on the land. These guys jump in if you startle them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh, OK, they must be toads then because their singing sounds like whistling from afar. Up close it's a little more croak like. They are small and stay around and in the pond. I thought toads would just stay on the land. These guys jump in if you startle them.
The toads will come & hang around the pond when it's spawning time. Their eggs look like long curly strings or chains laid in the water. Frog eggs look different, depending on which type of frog it is. Some make balls of eggs that attach underwater to plants (wood & pickerel), others lay rafts of eggs that stay more on the surface. After spawning the toads and other terrestrial types of frogs (tree & wood) leave the pond & return to the land. Truly aquatic frogs like green & bullfrogs stay in & around the pond all summer.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but I'm fairly obsessed with my aquatic & semi aquatic 'friends'. :D Our first round of baby toads is making their way out of the pond & I just got finished playing with them & taking a bunch of pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The toads will come & hang around the pond when it's spawning time. Their eggs look like long curly strings or chains laid in the water. Frog eggs look different, depending on which type of frog it is. Some make balls of eggs that attach underwater to plants (wood & pickerel), others lay rafts of eggs that stay more on the surface. After spawning the toads and other terrestrial types of frogs (tree & wood) leave the pond & return to the land. Truly aquatic frogs like green & bullfrogs stay in & around the pond all summer.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but I'm fairly obsessed with my aquatic & semi aquatic 'friends'. :D Our first round of baby toads is making their way out of the pond & I just got finished playing with them & taking a bunch of pictures.
Thanks! Not long winded. The more info the better we all get educated on the subject. Heck, we're a diverse group. Not just ponds and fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
20200605_125305.jpg

This is the best picture I could get. Sorry, no way to get a perspective on their size, but they are tiny. Maybe 1/4" head to tail.

Ask a Question