Tadpoles

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
why won't my goldfish eat the tadpoles? I have read that they do, but mine don't. Toads laid eggs, I fished a lot out, but there are still a bunch, bunch of tadpoles.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Toad tadpoles produce toxins, so most fish don’t eat them or learn quickly to leave them alone.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
why won't my goldfish eat the tadpoles? I have read that they do, but mine don't. Toads laid eggs

Toad tadpoles are different.
Fish will readily eat frog tadpoles. Toad tadpoles are poisonous, and fish will instinctively avoid them.

Why fish them out? Let 'em live. They won't stay long once they're on land. They'll eventually leave and find homes of their own. That's really what ponds are all about, wildlife.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like jb said i'd let them be let them become toads and move on don't forget toads eat insects so yes while toads are on the list of EWWW'S I'd be willing to bet what they eat is higher on your list of ewww's

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I really don't have an eww list, I love frog tadpoles..... Loud obnoxious toads though....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
As was stated before toads don't hang around ponds. They leave and find a home out tin the woods under a log or a rock and eat many, many insects.
I also don't think they croak except in the Spring when breeding but I may be wrong.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I leave them be, get hundreds of them, they leave the ponds when they are around 1/4 inch in size, tiny little things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As was stated before toads don't hang around ponds. They leave and find a home out tin the woods under a log or a rock and eat many, many insects.
I also don't think they croak except in the Spring when breeding but I may be wrong.

HAHAHAHAHA I wish that was my experience. The best thing about this longer cooler weather is the toads have not congregated around my pond yet. Once they do it will be a half dozen to a full army of toads every night until late summer croaking and screaming their heads off. We started seeing them pop up around the pond about two weeks ago. Thus far I've got 2 fat females hanging around just waiting for the first rainy, humid night.

Benefits outweigh the load negatives though. I get an army of little algae hungry eating machines, there are lots of toads hanging around to eat mosquitoes, and it adds a new life cycle to the pond to watch and enjoy.

With that being said I had a pair of leopard frogs the first year the pond was in and I would gladly remove every toad to have those two frogs back. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
HAHAHAHAHA I wish that was my experience. The best thing about this longer cooler weather is the toads have not congregated around my pond yet. Once they do it will be a half dozen to a full army of toads every night until late summer croaking and screaming their heads off. We started seeing them pop up around the pond about two weeks ago. Thus far I've got 2 fat females hanging around just waiting for the first rainy, humid night.

Benefits outweigh the load negatives though. I get an army of little algae hungry eating machines, there are lots of toads hanging around to eat mosquitoes, and it adds a new life cycle to the pond to watch and enjoy.

With that being said I had a pair of leopard frogs the first year the pond was in and I would gladly remove every toad to have those two frogs back. :)
ASK JB what you could do to make a habitat more friendly for leopard frogs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Oh yeah, once they come in I have screamers every night. Doesn't bother me at all though as it is far from the house and I enjoy the sound. But the toads make WAY more noise than the bullfrogs ever do and bullfrogs are all I ever get. :( My neighbor is full of green frogs, so not fair.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My pond is near, almost up against the house lol. They are loud and obnoxious. It is actually right outside my son's bedroom window and he now hates toads!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I've got one green frog, and several bullfrogs. The Bullfrogs are handy to have around when they get big.

Ask a Question