Tail in tatters, fish actin' pretty sick

Reaction score
In another post, I described our situation with really soft water. We've been adding Epsom salt, calcium chloride (for GH) and plain old baking soda for KH. Both numbers are looking better, a bit above 100 ppm for both.

Most of our fish that looked a bit sickly coming out of winter (I'm not competent enough to say whether it's just thicker slime coat or parasites or what) seem to be looking better.

However, one fish, a tri-tail goldfish that's been somewhat of a worry over the last couple of years, is doing much worse. It's never been an active fish, save for a few weeks in the spring when they're all chasing each other around. The rest of the time he's sorta moped around. He almost never ate with the other fish. He'd just nibble at the algae on the pond walls. But his scales always looked OK to us, and his tail was never chewed up.

So we start dosing the pond as described in the other thread. A few days ago he went to the bottom of the pond and wouldn't come up. Now he's at the surface, looking really weak. He's looking kind of grayish (again, I don't know how to discern whether it's slime or something else) and his tailfins have deep tatters in them.

Any suggestions? I can't understand how his tail could get that beat up in just a couple of days. We've never isolated a fish for salting or meds so I don't have any idea what to do. I thought about bringing him in to house to warm him up some but don't know whether that's always a good idea?

Reaction score
a picture of the fish may help you here ...... as a description of gray in colour doesn't help really if you can't tell by looking at him then the description you give "may" be inadequate for those that cannot see the fish , though to me sounds like fin rot , but and i must stress this i am NO EXPERT and there are others here much more qualified than myself in this forum , as i am sure you know ....

Reaction score
Any chance this is a female? I've seen females beat almost to death in an hour, ripped fins, exhausted. And the multiple fin fish generally have a harder time swimming so they can't defend themselves as well. I don't know of anything else that "tatters" fins.

Assuming the pond's temp is low, moving the fish slowly to warmer water, say 75F or so can improve the fish's chances. They heal faster and their immune system works better. You should also add an air pump and of course monitor ammonia and do water changes. I'd also cover the top of the tank with net or screen so the fish doesn't jump out.

Meds and salt is a tricky deal when you don't have a guess on what you're treating. If you do decide to treat I suggest picking one and sticking to it. A lot people seem to switch treatments everyday if they don't see improvement and even a healthy fish can't take that.

Reaction score
Yeah, the fish is gone. We brought it inside, fired up an extra bubbler, whipped up some 70 F water in a tub, made a mild salt solution, etc. It was too far gone. I need to learn more about how to I.D. fish problems and what to do. We're sticking with 'normal' goldfish from now on instead of multi-fin.

I was gettin' really exasperated trying to find some simple salt recipes on the internet yesterday while we were doing our EMT thing. I understand the difference between a salt bath (milder, as long as several days) and a salt dip (just a few minutes because the salt concentration is way too high for longer exposure) but couldn't seem to find anything that just spelled it out. We have a triple-beam scale and a postal scale, so if someone has a link to a chart that describes how many lbs. per gallon for several different concentrations, and what those concentrations should be used for, that would be great.

I'm pretty sure I remember us figuring it was a boy based on springtime behaviour (who was pursuing, who was being pursued). Fin rot takes weeks, right? The tail was really beat up, and in the course of maybe 3 days. And the fish was sulking on the bottom most of that time. When we got it inside the black tub gave a good contrast. I could see hundreds of little bits of tail still hanging on. Reminded me of a really badly shredded flag.

Does UV help to kill the nasty bugs that cause ich, tail rot, etc.? Also, should UV be placed before or after the biological filter? Seems I read something about that a few years back, but can't remember.

Ask a Question