Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
My friend sent me this picture of a pond that got hit with some HAB similar to red tide but I was curious whether or not the same phytoplankton that cause saltwater and brackish water to turn red can also strike fresh water ponds or is there a separate type that invade freshwater systems
EbHAlL0.jpg
?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would suggest rather than a harmful algae bloom it may be cyanobacteria.
Cyanobacteria is certainly present in freshwater systems.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I would suggest rather than a harmful algae bloom it may be cyanobacteria.
Cyanobacteria is certainly present in freshwater systems.
I didn't think about that but you may be right. Unfortunately I don't know the owner of the pond to ask what was found when the water tested if was tested at all or what they did to remedy the problem. I would imagine this type and scale of problem would need some intervention because this looks like an unfiltered pond or at least their is no surface filter system.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
It looks like it's a stagnant body of water, so I hope there's no livestock drinking from it.
I think so too because there is no evidence of even the slightest ripple of movement so this water has to be stagnant. Some of these red water causing things are also neurotoxic and can kill some animals. I would imagine that if anything such as fish or turtles were living in there before they are certainly dead now.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Red algae should not be confused with 'Red Tide'. Red algae is just that.....algae that is Red. It occurs mostly in marine environments but can be found occasionally in freshwater. Some Red Algae are actually part of the human diet in the Far East. It does not produce neuro-toxins.
Red Tide is strictly a marine occurrence and is comprised of a form of algae known as dinoflagellates. It DOES produce neuro-toxins.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
How about contacting the owner? Doing so may help him. Some people just need a little inspiration every now and then.
I wanted to try and get in touch to offer help but, my friend who sent the picture does not know the guy personally and I don't him at all but, if I figure out how to reach him I will definitely do so because its a shame to see such a large pond go to waste. I think with some time and dedication it could really be something nice.

Ask a Question