Tall Deep Pond Plants?

Reaction score
Pacific Grove (Monterey Peninsula), California
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Sorry for being so high maintenance as I’m regaining my footing. I greatly appreciate your generous he

I love the look of pond plants of different heights. Are there aquatic plants I can sink to the bottom of my 3 1/2 foot deep pond that can grow high up out of the water? I loved the height of cat tail but its roots took over and were terribly difficult to peel off the bottom and sides of my concrete pond. It even grew through its large fabric planting container.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not really. Pond plants come in three basic types - floating, marginals and water lilies. Lilies can handle the depth. Most of your marginals like to be at the 6 - 8 inch level. Even the intrepid cattail will only creep so far out into a pond - that's why you see them growing along shorelines and not filling entire ponds.

You can get the LOOK of a plant growing up out of the water if you move a plant further in toward the center of the pond if you have a wide enough shelf. I have a lizard tail that appears to be growing up out of the depths, but in reality is just on the shelf away from the edge.

Ask a Question