sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a neighbor with a pond and she and her hubby called me early this morning about a sick fish .He seems to have a fungus all over his tail it is white and cottony .The temps are in the 30's and 40's here can I still take him out and put him in a sick tank in my basement with an air hose in it .What should I use to treat it also .She has no basement or garage so I would have to bring him to my house to treat him .Will he be alright until spring being that the water temp is around 30 and will he infect other fish in there pond .I have never had a sick fish yet and have seen on this sight for treating them for this but that is during warm weather ,If I bring him here to treat him should I put him near a window for natural light .My basement is not heated but is well insulated and not as cold as outside I over winter my pond plants there and some of my other plants also .It is supposed to get colder here and a chance of snow .We had a couple of warm days so no ice on pond but with it getting colder it will ice over soon .

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Treat with tetracycline as prescribed on the package. Warm the HT water if you can to help the meds work.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
where can I buy tetracycline as I just came back from her house and brought Iggy with me he is in the basement with the oxygen pump in the tank that I have him in we have a petco here petsmart and farm supply stores and thats about it

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Farm supplies are the best place. You can get 100 capsules for less than $20. Pet stores are going to charge you almost that much for a dozen and they may be old.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok now this may be a dumb question LOL but 100 capsules how do you give them this or is it for the water .never heard of it before

oh and have to thank everyone about the salt for the pond got it at Lowes 5.09 a bag

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Treat with tetracycline as prescribed on the package.

It will say to put it into the water, 1 capsule for each 10 gallons. Make sure you open the capsule and dump out the medicine into the water so it can dissolve.

You have to do 25% water changes daily during treatment.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thank you will try to get it tomorrow if I can find it the farm supply in Martinsville does not have and th 1 in Danville was closed already thank you so much I just hope it works

Reaction score
In some instances sissy, fungus can be hiding a more serious bacterial infection underneath. I'm not saying it is in this case but prepare yourself for the possibility. Keep an eye out on the others. Don't use something from that pond then in yours if at all possible.

Ask a Question