Tank issues

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm leaving tomorrow for two weeks vacation and as luck would have it - something is going on in my older son's tank.

I would call it heavily planted, lots of different types of plants and lots of fish. Its a well established tank, we've had it for years (no ammonia issues). Some of the fish are several years old.

Yesterday I noticed one of the fish looked like he had the beginnings of fin rot - OR someone had picked at his fins, since I just added a betta to that tank, I tried to believe it was the betta, or another fish, but I don't think it is. Everyone is getting on just fine.

Tonight I noticed the very beginnings of ich on another fish. UGH!!! Why is this happening now???? Neither of these would bother me too much if I wasn't leaving tomorrow for vacation!!! Unfortunately there is no one to care for the fish while I am gone. I planned to drop in the gel feeder.

I added two tablespoons of aquarium salt to the 10 gall tank (that was according to the package). Praying it doesn't kill my gorgeous plants that had just started to really take off. And that the salt will help control the issues till tomorrow when I can drop in the first treatment. But that's it. I only have time for one treatment.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I can't even remember how many treatments you do and if its an every day thing.

I haven't had any problems like this in over a year, maybe two. Why now??? UGH UGH UGH!! Bad timing!

:(

Reaction score
Just as a note, the fish with the fin rot is a neon tetra. And I JUST had a neon tetra die - wonder if I have the tetra disease in the tank? Maybe I should pull out the sick fish and euthanize them?

The tetra is swimming weird for sure, more like a shimmy than a swim and does seem restless.

A bloodfin tetra and neon tetra are two with the issue.

Last edited:

Ask a Question