Tank raised Koi fry

Reaction score
Good evening,
I have recently lost my female koi, Tanaka. As she passed; she spawned. I am currently TANK raising her fry, for lack of a pond at the moment. I have been unable to find any assistance on these early stages and have been photo documenting this as it goes. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thank you so much, Lynda

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

Welcome to our group.

Sorry you lost your koi, there are some really good threads on raising the fry. Good luck to you

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome to our little group and a lot have raised there own fry and have documented it here

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
YellowFish.gif
Lynda
Sorry about the loss of your koi and hope her babies survive.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your warm welcome:)
Rory, that link was beneficial and I thank you for sharing it.
Enclosed is the link of the pictures I have taken so far:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tanaka/199238570143495

Any input, any at all, will be so appreciated. I am trying to get them ready for winter in New York. I have kept a journal of the "goings on" so far, but the site currently is photographic.
Culling was natural to date, though I have culled twice. I currently have four visibly disfigured babies who I am 'giving a chance'. I am under-provisioned right now but do have two huge tanks coming later this month. I guess I am feeling overwhelmed.

Reaction score
Koiguy1969,
Your link was also a benefit. I never fed egg yolks or brine. I powdered my own using 45% protein and mixed with crushed flakes. They seem to like it and are doing well on it. I did also use "First Bites" and now "MicroBites" for size increase. I should also have to admit to giving cheerios every now and again. (No real value, but they were Tanaka's favorite treat.)
Keeping this tank clean is a chore but it has been made easier with regular food products. Thank you so much for sharing.

Reaction score
I am also tank raising fry. Can finally see their barbels! I'm just watching the levels in the tank and changing about 10% of the water every couple days. I put in some anacharis pond plants. Feeding crushed Koi food and dehydrated brine shrimp.

Reaction score
Baeya,
Your pond and fish are stunning. Upstate New York at this time of year is never fun for water clarity. Particularly this season, what with earthquakes and hurricanes, the barometric pressure has been horrible, inside and out.

Reaction score
Taherrmann4,
That is the most amazing process!!! The site you chose was lovely but then to see what you did with it; I'm stunned!! Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing:)

Reaction score
Awwww...thank you Lynda :)
Are you close to where I live? I'm so sorry about your Koi. I hate when a beloved pet passes. I'm sure you'll do fine with your babies. I still have a lot in my pond. I used to have goldfish in my pond and they multiplied like crazy. We had to empty the pond in June to repair a small cave in and just put the Koi back in. We brought the goldfish to an aquarium store. After we got the pond going again, the Koi spawned. It's the first time that I know of. You can read a little more about my journey on one of the links in my signature, if you care to.
Sharon

Ask a Question