Tannin Problem

Reaction score
I started noticing a tannin problem last fall. I have removed most of the leaves. Unfortunately, do to my new work schedule, my off time is precious to me now. Should I be looking at active charcoal to help clean this up? Is there a different product that will work better/quicker while not harming the fish? Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'd be happy to know this also. I have a mulberry tree next to the pond.. the water got dark red like red wine once in a while.. I just had to do major water change.. but I'm hoping not to have to do this.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It may likely be tannins and the only two ways to remove them is using activated charcoal, which electrochemically absorbs the compounds out of the water, or doing major water changes.

Also, the sooner the leaves can be removed from the pond, such as with skimmers, then the better. Installing multiple skimmers might help if they can be located in good spots.

To elaborate further, here is a post I wrote about this issue, post#11 in thread "tea anyone?".

Reaction score
I have taken a lot of the leaves out. However, I can not reach the leaves at the 3' deep level, as this is also filled with water lillies. If I am thinking right, at 1800 gallons I will need about 5-5 1/2lbs of active charcoal. Am I thinking correctly?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Try some D-Solv in the powdered form. That'll lift all your leaves off the bottom so that you can scoop them out with your net.

th

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
air from an aerator will help after you get the most of the leaves out .It helps them break down faster .pet mountain sells acurel in 3 lb bags I always but 6 or 7 bags of it when it is onsale .I* use a pool net and if it does not get the smaller area's I take the big net off and wire on a little fish net like for an inside tank .I also use one of those grabber things for reaching things on high shelves in my kitchen .Some people use the sludge stuff ,i know my neighbor uses it .

Reaction score
Sissy, Thank you for the input. Trying to stay away from any chemicals Morewater. Been putting my pond through the chemical rehab. Chemical free for a full year. Time got away from me and winter started quick and full force so I really didn't get a chance to get most of the leaves. I am thinking of a filter for this. I have a design and am looking for input on the physical design of it. The basis of it is a reverse osmosis filter. This is assuming that the white rock is a finer filter media. Forgive the not so great Paint skills I have. Point out any possible issues you see. I plan on starting on this Friday night...
Osmosis Filter.png

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know how you feel i only use bacteria to help the bio load myself .I think what helps mine is plants in my filters because the roots on them have to be trimmed often .Last year that's all I used ,no in pond filter on my pumps either .This year since I put in a new liner it may end up being more work

Ask a Question