Tannin removal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I would like to know the best way to remove tannins that are causing water to be dark but clear. Charcoal? Thanks for any help. (My garden has been overtaken by a neighbor’s huge trees. I manually remove leaves etc. daily, but water remains dark.)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Activated carbon, like is used in aquariums. I have read another source that recommends the use of polyester quilt batting — like we use to collect “fines” from the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I use activated carbon too, but I don't worry about getting it perfectly clear. I think a bit of darkening in the water looks natural so I don't fret too much about it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use activated carbon too, but I don't worry about getting it perfectly clear. I think a bit of darkening in the water looks natural so I don't fret too much about it.
I’m like you. I get the bulk of it out, but then let nature take its course. Apparently an excess of tannins will mess with the pH and can be harmful (I think it reduces O2), but according to what I’ve read, it would take a lot of tannins to cause any harm — a lot more than we would ever see in a backyard pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lisa do you run the Incoming water over the carbon, or have it in your filter?
I think you could do it any way that puts the water in contact with the AC. Personally, I put mine in a mesh (lingerie) bag, and stick it in the filter. AC will reach a saturation point and will have to be replaced.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I buy mine in net bags, like a dozen at a time. I toss one in where the bog water flows out and the other at the end of our little waterfall.

Ask a Question