Taro Planting

Reaction score
I've planted Taro around the pond and yard before, but never in the pond. Going to try it this year. Do you place just the roots in the water or can the crown be submerged? Atm its about 2" below the water. Need to know if I should add a brick under them. The purple color looks great in the pond.

Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have taro's, some planted in the bog, one stuck in rocks, some in clay in a pot in the pond. The ones in the pots are the biggest, bog second, just in water in rocks in the pond smallest.

All were the same size when started.

I put them in black pots plants come in, the clay is around 10-12 inches below water line, The bottom of the pot is 2 feet down.

Reaction score
So the plants crown is 10-12" below the water if I'm correct?

I know some plants will start to rot if the crown is below water level. Wasn't sure if Taro was that picky.

Also at 2' down, do you still need to bring them in to winterize?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't think taro will grow if it is completely submerged, you need to leave some of the root exposed to the air. I have attached several pics to give you and idea of how deep to plant them. I just sit the root in between rocks and let it do its things. The first two pics show you where I have planted the base of the bulb in the water about halfway up the bulb and the last one shows you where the bottom of the bulb was barely touching the water, is not doing quite as good as the others. By the way the water in the first two pics is only about 2" deep.

Attachments

• P1020861.JPG
    P1020861.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,272
  • P1020862.JPG
    P1020862.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,173
  • P1020863.JPG
    P1020863.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 990

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have been growing and selling Taro for years. Stick it in the water, don't worry about covering the roots (deep is ok) because they don't care, add some rocks to anchor it. That's it! They will grow.

Attachments

• Taro in Stream Oct 2010.jpg
    Taro in Stream Oct 2010.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,481

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
KennethO said:
So the plants crown is 10-12" below the water if I'm correct?

I know some plants will start to rot if the crown is below water level. Wasn't sure if Taro was that picky.

Also at 2' down, do you still need to bring them in to winterize?

The crown is below the water, will get you a picture tomorrow if you wish.

They will not survive our cold, even if in deep water. So yes going to bring them in. See if I can keep them alive this winter for next spring

Ask a Question