Tear in liner....What is the best way to repair?

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
We started working on our pond this weekend. We tore out our old liner and got a 20 x20 liner to make the pond bigger and deeper. Well while filling the pond I noticed a spot was pretty soft. I pulled the liner back to see that there was a tear from a tree root. I had thought we got all of the sharp roots and other spots covered with the old liner but I must have missed this spot. I fish a lot and have had to patch my fishing waders which are made out of almost the same stuff.

I pumped some of the water out so I could work on it easier and got the back of the liner dry and clean. I made it rough with sand paper and then used pvc pipe cleaner on the area to make sure it was nice and clean. I used the same glue that I use on my fishing waders for this repair and used a patch from my wader repair kit. I used a hair dryer to get it set up a bit and then placed a board with a heavy rock on top of it.

If this doesn't work, what should I do next. I can't the liner back because it is discontinued and we got a really good deal on it.

Reaction score
Depends on the liner material. Each material has it's own methods.

If you didn't know the material or want to pay for the proper patch materials you can use a mechanical clamp. This can be done several ways. One way is 2 pieces of aluminum 1/4" plate, one on either side of the liner. Stainless steel bolts through both plates and tighten.

Ask a Question