Techinical questions about GPH and Height

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
We currently have our 20 year old Red Eared Slider and some large comets in a preformed sunken pond year-round (Los Angeles). It's probably a 125. The backyard is being updated so we're planning on moving the pond's location and giving in an upgrade.

As to not bore anyone with too many details, I need help on purchasing a bucket filter and submersible pump. We're currently using a small pump into a DIY plastic bucket filter. Years ago this was great, but it just doesn't cut it anymore.

The new pond is going to have a base of a 150 Gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. We will be building a wooden box around it. The pump will be at the bottom of the tank, pushing water through a tube over the back of the enclosure (3 - 4ft. up) to some sort of bucket filter. From there, the output tubing will move along the enclosure (Maybe 4 - 5ft. horizontal and 3 - 4ft. up to an output spillway.

Turtles are DIRTY. I'd like to have the water totally circulated twice an hour, but I don't quite understand the science of pumps GPH with the vertical and horizontal lengths. Would this pump and filter combination be overkill? Would they work together or would the pump blow the roof off a pressurized filter?
Pump or This
Filter or this (I really need a recommendation here. All of them on Amazon have mixed reviews).
Thank you all in advance!

Pond_Design.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You are using a 150 gallon stock tank so 2 x turnover per hour is 300gph. 1600 is way too much! Pressure filters are ok but you do not want to exceed the gph recommended or you will blow out the seals. I would read not only reviews but google the pump and filter and see what other sites say. Also read specs posted by company and check out Q&As. Lots of good info to be found there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Linus! I also keep Red Ear Sliders and would like to help. Start with this site:
and then let's talk. One question, I also use 150 gallon stock tanks but they are only about two feet deep. Are you going to use a Rubbermaid type?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I have three rescue turtles, 2 RES and a Peninsula Cooter summering outside but don't have a pressure setup so no specific recommendation there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Linus! I also keep Red Ear Sliders and would like to help. Start with this site:
and then let's talk. One question, I also use 150 gallon stock tanks but they are only about two feet deep. Are you going to use a Rubbermaid type?

Yea, 25" tall. The other 15" or so is going to come from the wood box built around the container so my escape artist can't get out.

Ask a Question