Teflon Tape or Teflon Paste

Reaction score
I've always used teflon tape on threaded connections, now I heard of teflon paste for threaded connections.

What should I use on the threaded connections to my pump and priming basket, etc..?

Reaction score
They both work. I was first taught to use the tape and used it for many years. When I heard about the paste I tried it and had fewer leaks. For probably a year I sore by the paste, never a leak. Then I had a leak with the paste. So now I use both (not on the same fitting).

For me the choice is based on conditions. I like the tape in wet conditions meaning the threads are wet. If the wind is blowing and there's loose dry dirt (welcome to Phoenix) I don't reach for the paste first as dirt can get into the paste and jam the thread.

You do want to be careful with the paste because it lubes the threads making it easier to over tighten which can lead to a cracked female in the years to come.

I follow a kind of process. Generally for 2" and less plastic pipe I start with the tape. If I have a leak, maybe 5% of the time, I remove the tape and try the paste. If I still have a leak, happened a few times, I remove the paste and use pipe dope (has to be right for the fitting's material). Pipe dope is heavier and more gummy than the teflon paste. If I still have a leak I remove the dope and check the threads for damage like I should have done at the very beginning. Maybe I can fix the threads, but generally it means replacing both the female and male but that's pretty rare.

If you really want to be smart you can use a temporary plug right after sealing a fitting and test the connection. If there's a leak it's easy to unscrew and try again. If you wait until the very end you may have to cut pipe, try again and add a slip coupling, which I never have handy of course. Or add a union which cost a fair bit.

Why not start with the pipe dope? If you don't have the wide gaps it fills it's no help and gets in the way of sealing normal tight gaps. Plus it's more messy than teflon paste. Very sticky. The teflon paste is more messy than the tape. So the tape is fastest if you don't have a leak.

If you're doing just a few fittings and you have no plumbing experience I think the teflon paste is best. It takes the least experience to get right. Use a clean brush and apply to both female and male threads. No need to go crazy with the amount. Tape takes a little getting use to. Not super difficult, but a bit of of learning. With the tape I see people generally put way too much on, no lay it flat, put it on in the wrong direction. And the info out there isn't very helpful on how many wraps to apply. I like 2, maybe 3 but some plumbers do 7-10 which I never understood.

Having said all that...for 1" and under I've been impressed by Shark Bite type connectors. Expensive but in some cases they're a big help.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have several plummer friends and they all use the paste. i used to use the tape until they advised me otherwise. I will still use tape for liquid gas lines like on a racing engine. For propane and water, I use paste.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I use both Teflon paste and tape
small stuff always get the tape its cleaner and its in my tool box
plastic fittings will get the tape and a touch of paste to let it turn easy

Reaction score
My personal experience after doing years of plumbing....

Use the tape! The paste can leach into your water and taste like $%&* for a very long while. Of course, we are not drinking our pond water, but if I can taste it, the fish can, too.

Also, some of the compounds and chemicals in the paste can react with certain plastics, including PVC, and cause them to swell or soften and eventually degrade and then they crack and leak or fall apart. Paste is fine for galvanized steel (metal to metal) fittings if you are conservative in the application. Plastic or brass fittings into steel requires NO tape or paste in order for them to seal, but I usually apply tape anyway.

I would use the standard WHITE teflon tape for PVC / CPVC to PVC / CPVC fittings.

If you are doing household plumbing with threaded, galvanized pipe, I recommend the pink teflon tape over the white. I don't know why it is better, but it is.

Gordy (catfishnut)

Reaction score
Gordy,

You can taste the paste? Couldn't be something else in the pipe like flux or what happened to be in the pipe? That's pretty far fetched. Even with a sloppy job we're talking about an extremely tiny amount of something that isn't even soluble in water. In a proper install there should only be paste on the sealed tread, not inside the pipe.

Teflon paste is:
Certified to ANSI/NSF Standard 61, safe for drinking water lines. Meets Fed. Spec. TT-S-1732.

It's also engineered to be used with PVC, ABS. It doesn't make it swell.

I tend to trust scientists and the government more than the guy next door, or even myself. They've spent a lot more time looking into it.

Reaction score
Old fashioned pipe dope can cause issues with PVC or ABS...

TFE/PTFE Paste or commonly labeled Teflon paste is very good.
especially if you ever want to un-tighten. Teflon paste and Teflon tape are same/different as ice and water.

Waterbug's comment about the dirt and paste is spot on. And by the way, if you accidentally step on $1.95 tube of Teflon paste and track it on 30' cement walkway it takes way longer to clean than you would imagine (like 3 hours longer).

If you believe the wiki-truth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon_tape

Reaction score
Old fashioned pipe dope can cause issues with PVC or ABS...

Absolutely. The instructions on any product will say what materials it can be used on and you shouldn't use it with other materials.

Reaction score
Gordy,

You can taste the paste? Couldn't be something else in the pipe like flux or what happened to be in the pipe? That's pretty far fetched. Even with a sloppy job we're talking about an extremely tiny amount of something that isn't even soluble in water. In a proper install there should only be paste on the sealed tread, not inside the pipe.

Nawh, I could taste the paste for certain. I was putting in a shallow well / sand point and I needed to use a LOT of paste to ensure that the pipe going in the ground was sealed very well. Since you have to pile drive the pipe down through sand and dirt and clay and a couple of hard pans of clay, you need to ensure that the threads remain sealed. So I was using glops of thread sealant. I tried this using the white Teflon tape and it didn't hold up. Then I found the pink Teflon tape and that worked fine. But, I did use an overage of paste in the beginning. That's why I could taste it. Some of the newer pastes are not like this, they are much better.

Absolutely. The instructions on any product will say what materials it can be used on and you shouldn't use it with other materials.

One water pump that I bought had an ABS plastic housing where the fittings attached. The instructions explicitly stated not to use the paste, but to use tape. There must be something in the paste solution (or some pastes) that can damage or dissolve / soften the ABS. I don't think they would have stated it in the instructions otherwise.

I have installed nearly two dozen shallow wells here for cabins and the pink Teflon tape works the absolute best.

Gordy

Reaction score
I use both Teflon paste and tape
small stuff always get the tape its cleaner and its in my tool box
plastic fittings will get the tape and a touch of paste to let it turn easy

That's what the plumbers and pipe fitters at my work do. Tape and then paste so it tightens all the way, easier.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Unless you apply way too much paste, and get it where it does not need to be, we are talking parts per billion. I don't think the fish will be bothered in the least.

Ask a Question