Temperature For Koi Fry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have some koi fry that I brought in for the winter. They are still pretty small, biggest is 1 1/2 " smallest is 1/2". I didn't have a heater and was trying to get the tank cycled, temp dropped to 62, so I went and bought a Eheim thermo control 100 W. What is the maximum temp I should set it at? I know technically they don't need it, but someone told me it would boost their immune.

Here is a video

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I wouldn't heat the water. They're koi. Yes, they're fry bu they're the ones that survived so they're tough!

I am curious why an indoor tank would drop to 62 degrees - maybe you need to turn YOUR heater on!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I wouldn't heat the water. They're koi. Yes, they're fry bu they're the ones that survived so they're tough!

I am curious why an indoor tank would drop to 62 degrees - maybe you need to turn YOUR heater on!
Yes I hadn't turned my house heat on yet and it was 63 in the house and 62 in the tank. I wasn't sure what temp I start to lose nitrifying bacteria and I had just got to the end of cycling. So I put a heater in on the advice of pet store and the Damn thing never shut off last night. Now the tank is 76F. I just unplugged it, which means it is going to drop again. I am so frustrated.

Reaction score
62 degrees won't affect bacteria. My pond doesn't get much above that until the end of May and I bet it's back below that now... I really don't want to know because I still need to get in there one more time this year! Hey... can I borrow that heater? :ROFLMAO:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond went from 73 to 64 in two days. We dropped from 99 to 39 over night. I need to groom the bog, the lilies then turn everything off. The surface area of the bog really cools down the pond water quickly.
I really don't want to know because I still need to get in there one more time this year! Hey... can I borrow that heater?
I need a heater also lol

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question