Temperature variation in a container pond?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
'ello all! I am planning to put fish in my future 20 gallon 'pot pond' for the summer. However, I am worried about temperatures...would temperature variations in such a small, above ground pond be too large for fish? If this helps, the pond will be on the east side of the house and thus will not receive direct afternoon sun.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've put a couple small goldfish in pots with our lotuses and they did fine - but those are more than 20 gallons. That's a pretty small container. I guess I would wait and see how hot the water gets before I put any fish in if I were you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In my opinion goldfish don't belong in small containers as they don't stay small for very long ;)

So true Maria! We always catch a few of our babies to put in our patio pond or lotus pots and they go right back into the pond in the fall where they live happily ever after!

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Agree with the above...goldfish DON'T belong in small containers! However, I was not considering goldfish...I was considering keeping smaller tropical or subtropical fish in there for the summer months (or maybe a bit longer depending on the specie's temp tolerance)

Reaction score
Country
United States
So true Maria! We always catch a few of our babies to put in our patio pond or lotus pots and they go right back into the pond in the fall where they live happily ever after!

Yep, That's what I kinda figured as I know you have a larger pond but I'm not aware if the op has access to a larger pond or aquarium to move his fish to once they have outgrown the small container pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agree with the above...goldfish DON'T belong in small containers! However, I was not considering goldfish...I was considering keeping smaller tropical or subtropical fish in there for the summer months (or maybe a bit longer depending on the specie's temp tolerance)

The rosy reds and mosquito fish stay on the smaller side and would be ones to consider for your container pond.

Ask a Question