Temperature warning for UK fish keepers .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
With temperatures set to hit 30c+ in the UK this week a warning has been put in place by Health officers BKKS .
23C - 24C is considered the ideal temperature median for Koi one should become concerned if your in the south of the UK if expected temperatures are set to hit 30+ this week
I would also add for UK goldfish owners in the South 23-24c is again the ideal temperature median for them also so the same level concern applies to them also if temperatures reach 30c+
It is felt that the following points are most important things to check on and are points to take on board :-
1) “Check the last time you changed your airpumps diaphragms"
2) If they are old they will produce "less air"
3) "DON'T" add any pond treatments, especially "Potassium Permanganate".
4) I would also advise "NOT" to add any blanket weed treatments
5) With the humid and "HOT" weather planned this week be aware that "O2" levels in the air and especially our ponds
6) If you have that spare air pump "USE IT"
7) **Also if possible "DON'"T have the air pumps enclosed in a filter box, room or especially poly-tunnel as temperatures can sky rocket in them
8) Also have at hand some Hydrogen Peroxide, if the koi seem to be gasping then could be O2 levels, especially first thing in the morning.
9) Having slight green water will also strip out the "O2".
10) A higher level of filter activity i.e. more feeding will result in the bio-mass using more "O2".
11) "DON'T" be complacent that you have a bakki shower or waterfall on your pond, these will of course add "O2", but with the low" O2" levels in the air you will need as much as possible in the pond...........
"I hope this helps you keep your fish safe and sound and the best of British luck to you should your area hit that 30c+. warning"

**Note Both Val and I have had a chance to have whitnessed this first hand when temperatures inside the first version of our filter housing hit an astounding 50c" blowing the thermometer's bulb placed in the filter housing to keep an eye on internal temperatures out at the same time, " non of us could believe it had gotten that hot in there, not until I checked the temperature internally of the filterhousing with our infrared hand held thermometer that was" .
**Note We have since re designed the filter housing to have a flow of air through it at times of high temperatures negating this phenomena" .

Warnings go out to the following UK fishkeepers we follow and for any we dont @Willo, @Rach, @johan ,@slick,@richyd, @Stu74,@debdadd, @nick0007
,@lee

and though not living in the UK this also applies to @Alpravinosh who was asking temperature questions yesterday in a seperate thread to @Willo and our own .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Good information. If it gets really hot here, I'll crack the door to my "pond shack" :)
Yes I suppose this warning could also go out to all fish keepers where it gets very hot your side of the big pond .;) .
Just checking on the ponds temperature its gain 2c in just one day and is now at 17c .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thankfully we are at a pleasent 21c with cloud and a gentle cooling Beeze which is a blessing as they said we would also get the same as the South East.
Though all our weather stations agree ,[one says ] we may get rain, [the other with a possibility of thunder storm's later.
However the BBC News reports that the South east is cooking on gas mark 8, with temperatures in London at 34.5c :wideyed: and surrounding Counties in the 30's.c at this moment in time :wideyed:

Dave

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just to clarify.....temperature has no affect on Oxygen levels in the atmosphere.
Barometric pressure will have a slight, but negligible, affect on Oxygen levels.
The problem is that as temperatures rise, water loses its capacity to hold Oxygen.
caljsiol_sio1ca175_107_014.gif

To see how altitude (Elevation) relates to pressure and atmospheric Oxygen content, see this calculator.
http://www.altitude.org/air_pressure.php

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx for the chart Meyer tou can acctually see it with the aid of it .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Another thing we should all look out for with these high temperatures is our fish spawning especially after a storm be aware that it can mess with your ammonia and other water perameters all which go to reducing "O2 " levels should this happen action should be taken to correct things via water changes etc to reduce these levels asap
Then keep a sharp eye on your water perameters until levels reduce to normal again

Dave

Reaction score
With temperatures set to hit 30c+ in the UK this week a warning has been put in place by Health officers BKKS .
23C - 24C is considered the ideal temperature median for Koi one should become concerned if your in the south of the UK if expected temperatures are set to hit 30+ this week
I would also add for UK goldfish owners in the South 23-24c is again the ideal temperature median for them also so the same level concern applies to them also if temperatures reach 30c+
It is felt that the following points are most important things to check on and are points to take on board :-
1) “Check the last time you changed your airpumps diaphragms"
2) If they are old they will produce "less air"
3) "DON'T" add any pond treatments, especially "Potassium Permanganate".
4) I would also advise "NOT" to add any blanket weed treatments
5) With the humid and "HOT" weather planned this week be aware that "O2" levels in the air and especially our ponds
6) If you have that spare air pump "USE IT"
7) **Also if possible "DON'"T have the air pumps enclosed in a filter box, room or especially poly-tunnel as temperatures can sky rocket in them
8) Also have at hand some Hydrogen Peroxide, if the koi seem to be gasping then could be O2 levels, especially first thing in the morning.
9) Having slight green water will also strip out the "O2".
10) A higher level of filter activity i.e. more feeding will result in the bio-mass using more "O2".
11) "DON'T" be complacent that you have a bakki shower or waterfall on your pond, these will of course add "O2", but with the low" O2" levels in the air you will need as much as possible in the pond...........
"I hope this helps you keep your fish safe and sound and the best of British luck to you should your area hit that 30c+. warning"

**Note Both Val and I have had a chance to have whitnessed this first hand when temperatures inside the first version of our filter housing hit an astounding 50c" blowing the thermometer's bulb placed in the filter housing to keep an eye on internal temperatures out at the same time, " non of us could believe it had gotten that hot in there, not until I checked the temperature internally of the filterhousing with our infrared hand held thermometer that was" .
**Note We have since re designed the filter housing to have a flow of air through it at times of high temperatures negating this phenomena" .

Warnings go out to the following UK fishkeepers we follow and for any we dont @Willo, @Rach, @johan ,@slick,@richyd, @Stu74,@debdadd, @nick0007
,@lee

and though not living in the UK this also applies to @Alpravinosh who was asking temperature questions yesterday in a seperate thread to @Willo and our own .

Dave
Cheers Dave, my pump had a full service few weeks ago and ive added another air brick to the pond this weekend, so i now have 4 air bricks going 24/7. My water temps have been around 22 - 23 at hottest part of the day, fish seem to like this warm weather they've been catching the rays at the top of the pond all week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers Dave, my pump had a full service few weeks ago and ive added another air brick to the pond this weekend, so i now have 4 air bricks going 24/7. My water temps have been around 22 - 23 at hottest part of the day, fish seem to like this warm weather they've been catching the rays at the top of the pond all week.
Ours is at 18c at the moment though we have had hot weather being on the coast has its benefits with a nice cooling breeze which has had the effect of cooling the worst of the heat wave .

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Great info we are headed back up to mid 90's again the end of this week and when i bought my aerator i bought 2 extra filter repair kits to keep in my stock .Also include in this pull your air stones and clean them off and check your airlines for condensation that will build up .My air pump is over a foot above water level but condensation still builds up in some of the lines from hot sunny days and cooler nights .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx Sissy we have anti flow back devices on our airpipes it would make it hard to check them but I'll take a peak
All our airstones are Japanese ceramic ones very easy to clean very long lasting yet I check them and clean them on a regular basis , one thing you need to look at is the diaphrams of your areator thats the most important part because if they start to wear then the air will be reduced .
I also keep two areators on standby one is very powerful and could power all the airstomes and pond together the other is my old faithfull Airtec 40, I have two later Airtecs 40e's one powering the airstomes the other powering the spindrifter bottom drain bubbler.
So keeping one in reserve would be a good point for any future summers , it doesnt have to be a high end areator they do some really cheap ones they do just the same job sometimes even better than the high end ones that cost the earth to replace the diaphams on
But a very good point indeed and jut to satisfy my curiosity I'm going to make it part of my routine to check if I have condensation or not .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Brrr with the storms coming up fast anyone would think it was spring theres a noted cooling in the air , tomorrow the wind shifts to blowing down from the arctic and Frost may well be seen in Scotland or so the weathermen said today.
Frost in July would you believe it.
However its going to warm up again this weekend [just in time for our show]:)

Dave

Ask a Question