temperatures and feeding goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand that my fish should not be fed once water temps get under 50 degrees.

The question I have is can I feed the fish on the days when the temp rises above 50 degrees and the fish are active? We haven't had consistent cold and snow for the winter yet. I have stopped feeding my goldfish but I noticed on the warmer days we have had that they are swimming around and seem to be looking for food.

I don't want to hurt them by feeding but I also don't want to starve them. I feel especially bad when I'm feeding the fish inside and I'm not feeding the pond fish.

Reaction score
I have found that if the fish are hungry, they will eat. If the arent, they won't. One thing I have noticed recently is that although the water temp may be cold, if it is sunny outside, the fish come to the top and look for food. I wonder if it is like a cold but sunny day for people, where we feel warmer than it is, because the Sun is shining on us? My pond water is 42 degrees today. The fish were all near the top so I threw in some food. They all went for it, so I threw in more. I am positive no harm will come to any of them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it is better not to feed if you do you could kill them and that would be worse .Inside ones are in a controlled temp .

Reaction score
sissy said:
it is better not to feed if you do you could kill them and that would be worse .Inside ones are in a controlled temp .
I have been keeping fish and doing a lot of reading on fish forums for about 2.5 years. I know it is not a long period of time compared to others, but it is a good amount of time. In all of that time, I have not read one single post from a person who had fish die from being fed in cold water.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My pond temp goes up and down during the winter, I try not to feed after the water drops down even when the koi beg,
If i do give them a bite, It's only when the weather is going to stay mild for a while.

Last Week it was in the 70s here, my fish were begging for food and didn't get it.
By Friday I had ice on the ponds, And had to turn the pumps off because of a possible ice storm
I feel better about my water quality by not feeding

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same here, 48 pond temp about 4 days ago, fish swimming around eating on the plants, today 36 fish hanging out in a still group. The temp gauge is around 10 inches down, the bottom temp might be more stable. I do have a huge aerator running to keep the part of the pond ice free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm on zone 5 also. I quit feeding my fish back in late October/early November. Even when we had a warm spell, I didn't feed, cause the water temp was still cold. There is enough algae in there for them if they want to nibble on that. Plus my lilies are in there.

Ask a Question