Temporary home for fish needing a new home?

Reaction score
Need suggestions on what to keep fish in while I wait for people to come get them. I need to thin them out but my old kiddie pool got a crack :) Anyhow I have 10 or more fish that will be going and I was wondering what everyone else uses. Can I just buy something from Tractor Supply and put aerator in there? Thanks Amber

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
intex pools are great temporary ponds....they make them from 250 gallons and up. a 250 gallon costs $8.00 at Meijers..."seasonal stock" may not be out yet tho...8' round 30" deep (about 800 gal i beleive) intex pool is about $45.00. sellers on ebay probably have them now.....i had a 15' round 3' deep one 3600 gallons, and one of the 250 gallon ones that i kept fish in...waiting for new homes also....craigslist is where to list them..

Reaction score
Thanks I have them on craigslist now but I didn't know my pool was cracked so now I have to run and buy something thanks for the information I might call and see if Meijer has them out as they have bathing suits out already and they go hand in hand.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Do you have a bathtub in the house that you don't have to use? Just a thought :cool:
Just make sure the drain cap holds water for sure! Or throw a water tight tarp or something that holds water in w/o leaking...........well it's not that gross........it's just temporary.......I have a friend who keeps her turtles in her bathtub in the winter :rolleyes:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought at an auction an old claw foot tub works great and is yard art and here I guess it's better than a junk car up on cinder blocks .This way I blend in a little and they won't know I'm from New Jersey

Reaction score
Hi everyone I ended up buying the intex 250 gallon for 12.99 at Meijer. Now to get in the water and fish them out brrrrrr! Sissy I love claw foot tubs but I would want it in my bathroom :fechten2:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got a bunch of stuff with it and everything cost me 10 dollars and I put potted plants in it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a tub (not claw foot) that I buried in the ground for plants and a few little fish in summer. Its fun to come up w/ new ideas to grow things in.

IMG_1186.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have to get another tub I like looking at the claw foot one what kind is that tub

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It was just an old rounded bottom tub. Real heavy. Had a hole for the drain and my hubby plugged it w/ something that dried hard and doesn't leak. Can't remember but there was a thread on here somewhere where I was just making it called My Bathtub Pond or something like that and I was asking questions on how to do it. I left the two holes where the handles went and put screen there so when it rained it wouldn't send the floating duckweed over the sides of the pond and squeezed some plastic round rings over them to hold them in place

IMG_1013.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had an air stone in there and a fountain w/ a small filter block attached to it but I let a bit of water from the hose run for a few minutes each day on a timer to keep the water fresh. I just had a few little goldfish in there but when winter came I scooped them out and put them in the big pond :fish:

Reaction score
Well you did a great job it's beautiful. I am always thinking of ways to make smaller ponds but I only have one outlet and my pond is using both slots.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
need electrician then more outlets and a bigger circuit breaker too

Ask a Question