Temporary home for goldfish

Reaction score
I'm about to do a major renovation of my main pond & have to move my two one-year-old goldfish. I've cleaned & refurbished my smaller pond & would like to put them in it but am concerned about how they'll do in the new, pristine environment since the water they've been in is old & green. Should I first transfer them to a container with half old, half new water? If so, for how long? If not, what should I do. I'd really hate to fill the secondary pond w/ their current water - I'd have to clean it again & simply have to face the same problem once the main pond work is complete.
Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Thanks very much! That is, of course, what I wanted to hear. A friend had suggested 3 water changes w/ ever-increasing proportions of the new over a course of hours but I think I'll take your advice.

Reaction score
Gold fish adapt quickly. I've used the half and half system. just put out some test fish in the ponds that I finished before all the rain in Iowa hit this week. The koi is going nuts being cooped up inside.

Ask a Question