Temporary Pond Ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello, We have a house that are 99% sure we are moving into the next month or so, With a perfectly level 40x150' Back yard that will be more than enough for the pond I am planning to build as soon as inspection, appraisal, etc. goes through and approved.

I need to know a CHEAP alternative for a Temporary SMALL pond that my fish will stay in for about a month until the pond is up and running . I was thinking a kiddie pool from walmart or something, but not sure on the plastic they are made out of and if they are fish safe? It does not have to be "Presentable" as it is just temporary. I also have a 10'x10' 45mil EPDM and a 7'x10' 20mil PVC liners that I could use if needed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure koiguy uses the kiddie pools from walmart although I'm not sure exactly which ones. If you do a search you might be able to find a thread where he posted links to the ones he uses.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
A walmart pool will work for you jason
Just think about your new big flat yard
i started with one and changed it , raising it 2 ft for most the yard
and 3 ft for the real high ground
Put your new pond in high so you never have drainage problems
My low ground is my neighbors ground level
Think big

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got stock tanks and they come in handy for extra plants or baby fish but have to agree kiddy pools are cheaper.I know one person on here uses it to catch rain water since he has to treat his city water .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dont have a Walmart here in the UK Jason but a kiddy pool as long as its made thick durable material you should be ok .
I say this because koi have been known to puncture industrial strength plastic bags on the way to fish shows before now so its best to be safe than sorry .
May your new home be a lucky and lovely place to live , get that new pond built at trebble the size of your old one , cant wait to see it finished

Dave

Reaction score
I think the kiddy pool would work - but it may leave your fish vulnerable to predators. If you can find the Rubbermaid tubs locally (to save the shipping charges) you would have a better and safer place for the fish. You may have better luck with temporary filtration with the deeper tub as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Looks like I will be going with a Kiddie pool. Thanks Hangman, I will be housing 12 Fish including 3 Shubunkins, 5 Koi, 5 Goldfish (comets and sarasa) and a good size rubber maid tank is out of the price range im trying to stay in, I will most likely keep the kiddie pool in my florida room so no predotors can get to them.

Dr. Case, the pond im building will be a flat raised 8" modern rectangle pond design and waterfalls will be protruding out of concrete walls. I might use the dirt I dig to slope the walls around the pond up 8" for plants around it.

Thanks Dave, Yeah the new pond will be fun, but Im trying to keep it easy as I will be doing all of the work lol. It will be fun though, and will be 8x the size of my current ponds with the same fish load

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
JASON.. for about -$50.00 you can have an 8' round 30" deep intex pool. not 5 or 6 mil industrial garbage bags but 20 nil thick nylon mesh reinforced pvc pool. made for swimming. they are fish safe. they last for years. stock tanks are expensive, i can get a 1000+ gallon intex pool for less than a 150gal stocktank. ive been using intex snapset pools for years. breeding and selling koi. 20 mil is the most common of pvc pondliners...i have one 7 years old.still in good shape.
this one here is 640 gals.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Intex-E...250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461910bdaa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I might go that route Koi Guy, they have one on Ebay that is 6'x20" for only $30 free shipping, might go with that one instead. Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have moved my pvc liner from filter rebuild to filter rebuild and bought mine at lowes on end of the year sale .I even used it as a temporary pond for babies for awhile .I did not want to put babies in the stock tank .Those intex pools are pretty tough .I even have a piece of pool liner I pulled out of the dump .Here they sell them real cheap at big lots and ollies at the end of the year .I thought about buying one .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
here,they carry those 240 gal ones like you want for $20.00 at walmarts...the snapsets are $12.00 if you can wait til spring, and have a walmarts near by. will 240 gals be big enough? 650 gls will keep them far more comfortable and easier to keep healthy. and the pool may come in handy in the future as well.as you fish numbers grow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you have to pay tax on ebay as that might be the difference there

Ask a Question