Temporary Tank Needs?

Reaction score
I'm six months new to keeping koi. I'm not happy about it, but we are about to have to drain our large, indoor pond for repairs. As such, we'll have to move our koi (nine, about 100" total) to temporary digs. I've wanted to purchase a quarantine tank anyway, so we're going to purchase a large show tank (have limited room for storage of anything else) and place it in our basement. What other items do we need to make our fish as comfortable as possible for a week? Filters? Pumps? Stones, etc? How fancy do these need to be?

Also, what about moving the water from our pond to the show tank with a utility pump? Is this a good idea? We worked so hard to get our pond water perfect. It is now and the fish are really healthy and growing. This makes me sick to have to do this to them and I want to give them the best shot at surviving all this and staying healthy.

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would move the water from the pond into the tank, that way they will not have to adapt to any water change.

You should circulate the water, have air flow, if you test the water (let the koi peeps tell you how often) you may get away with just a lot of water changes rather then getting the filter set up. The ones that keep koi will help you with the best way to keep them healthy.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would use the same pond water also
If you can move what ever filter you have down their it would help ...if possible
It may take a little longer to get your existing pond water ready after repairs

Ask a Question