morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well, the season is in full swing and I've seen some pretty terrible stuff so far. Terrible builds, leaking "waterfalls", exposed edges, inadequate filtration and general ugliness. Sorry, no pictures. It wouldn't be a great business move to post pictures of other people's stuff.

Have been called to correct, finish, repair, rebuild all the crap that so-called "professionals" start, don't finish, f* up, etc.

All the usual squawks about how expensive I am, how expensive equipment is, "can you do this tomorrow I have guests coming", "why isn't my water clear yet", "well, my friend says....", "I don't want to pay a consult fee for you to do nothing", "if I pay cash can you do it for less?", "well, this guy says he can do it for this much (great, get him)"

Ah, Spring.

Burst lines, leaking ponds, leaking waterfalls, broken equipment, inadequate equipment, poor filtration, no filtration..........

And you wonder why I drink..................

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It will always be like that and people think ponding and building a pond is so easy .I guess there is a big learning curve for a lot of people out there .I have taken out lots of ponds for realtors and surprised by what I would see but not anymore .I tried to take an iris out of a pond and pulled the whole liner out with it and it took my truck in 4 wheel drive to do that .I don't like iris for that reason in a pond .They may be good cleaners but they can grow out of control fast and be a ponders worst nightmare .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well, the season is in full swing and I've seen some pretty terrible stuff so far. Terrible builds, leaking "waterfalls", exposed edges, inadequate filtration and general ugliness. Sorry, no pictures. It wouldn't be a great business move to post pictures of other people's stuff.

Have been called to correct, finish, repair, rebuild all the crap that so-called "professionals" start, don't finish, f* up, etc.

All the usual squawks about how expensive I am, how expensive equipment is, "can you do this tomorrow I have guests coming", "why isn't my water clear yet", "well, my friend says....", "I don't want to pay a consult fee for you to do nothing", "if I pay cash can you do it for less?", "well, this guy says he can do it for this much (great, get him)"

Ah, Spring.

Burst lines, leaking ponds, leaking waterfalls, broken equipment, inadequate equipment, poor filtration, no filtration..........

And you wonder why I drink..................

I see. Now tell me. What is the REAL problem?:D

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What color did you paint them addy?
I used brown, can't even see them. Another thing I did, on a few pieces out of curiosity, I used the purple primer pvc glue stuff, smeared it on the pipe, that too worked. Anything that gets rid of the bright white color.

Over time they have grown some algae, got some dirt on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I spray painted hose last summer and it flaked off a little. I'll try paint or burlap on the PVC...........it's so ugly, it gives me a head ache! Hubby said " Every improvement you make, causes the pond to look uglier"....and he's right - LOL !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Seems like every minute of every day, a "true" pond lover is watching for a way to improve their pond, its appearance, its quality. Then there is "the other" which was hoping to slap some asset value on their house for little cost and care, then whine when it just doesnt work out like they hoped. Then thats when Morewater comes in. He has to fix the issues that never should have been made to begin with.

That being said, there are two different scenerios. Hiring really bad pond contractors, or DIY that have no clue and hope for the best. Thats why I dont own a really big pond. I am perfectly capable of digging a big hole. Most healthy people are, but then what?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
The nice thing about burlap is it both softens the hard edges of the pipe and things grow on it. My wife just roughly hand sewed it onto the pipe. It also can be gotten in camo colors, I paid about $12 for a roughly 4x12 ft piece made for hunters, I use it on a portable bird blind for photos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
The nice thing about burlap is it both softens the hard edges of the pipe and things grow on it. My wife just roughly hand sewed it onto the pipe. It also can be gotten in camo colors, I paid about $12 for a roughly 4x12 ft piece made for hunters, I use it on a portable bird blind for photos.

Yes! I am over anal retentive about hiding the "workings" of a pond. Even seeing the cord popping out below my rocks from my filter causes a slight bit of unease and makes me want to hide it with a plant. I admire y'all for your extra attention! See? A "true" pond lover.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Would you mind taking a photo of the burlap covering over the pipe so I can see what it looks like when in use? I'm thinking I may have to give this a try. I'm going to look and see if they sell it in green although the brown/tan may be a better choice.

Ask a Question