test kit problem

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello everyone ,
Can i cycle my tank without fishes and that also without a water test kit . I know that i have asked a stupid question but i have no other way.I really can't afford API water test kit as i'm only 15.But what if i buy only a single test like ph test kit or nitrate test kit or ammonia test kit , i mean that i'll buy that one which is very necessary for fishless cycling ; i can afford one. I know that its again a stupid thing but i'm not left with any choice . I want to cycle my new tank as soon as possible. Is there any alternative way or anything i can do ?

Any tips would be appreciated

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi neha,
Fill your aquarium with water, run your aquarium with it's filtration system, put in a few flakes of fish food once per week, and in 6 weeks your setup will be safe enough to add a couple of small fish.

thank you so much...
I'm jumping with joy.I thought that i would have to give up now but thanks a lot to you

after filling the tanks can i add some colorful stones to it with some short water plants?.Should i turn on the aquarium light during the whole process -6 weeks ?

Reaction score
Country
India
hey everyone ....a good news...:)
I have exchanged my 9 gallon tank with '12.6 US gallon' tank.
And now i have to cycle it as soon as possible .
I will go with the 6 weeks process since i can't afford a test kit .
Should i turn on the aquarium light during the whole process -6 weeks ?

thanks to all

Any tips would be appreciated :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi neha,
Yes you can have some gravel on the bottom.
You will need to remove the detritus that builds up in the gravel every now and then, but that is a long way off.
Don't use the aquarium lights during this time.
Which plants were you thinking of?
What fish do you have in mind?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@neha - you have a good mentor here in @MitchM !

I wonder - do you have an aquarium store near you? Many will test water for customers for free. Just a thought!

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi neha,
Yes you can have some gravel on the bottom.
You will need to remove the detritus that builds up in the gravel every now and then, but that is a long way off.
Don't use the aquarium lights during this time.
Which plants were you thinking of?
What fish do you have in mind?

Thank you so much for your support and guidance
I was thinking of java moss or Indian Fern / Water Sprite
I am planning for guppies

Reaction score
Country
India
@neha - you have a good mentor here in @MitchM !

I wonder - do you have an aquarium store near you? Many will test water for customers for free. Just a thought!

Of course i do have a good mentor ..:)
I actually have aquarium stores near me but the problem is that all these stores are not much developed .In fact most of the aquariums we have here just buy and sell fish. When i asked my pet sore about water kit , they simply told that these things do not exist....i was seriously shocked. Not only this here proper fish medicines are also not available ..so i usually order from online stores. As i have seen in foreign countries the aquariums are much more better (y), the condition is not the same here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sounds like you will get a lot of enjoyment from your aquarium. With plants and fish it will be lovely, let us know when you get fish and how the aquarium progresses. By the way your enthusiasm is wonderful.

Reaction score
Country
India
Sounds like you will get a lot of enjoyment from your aquarium. With plants and fish it will be lovely, let us know when you get fish and how the aquarium progresses. By the way your enthusiasm is wonderful.

Thanks a lot:)
Of course i'll let you all know everything..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Maybe when you have a chance to go back they will have the plant you want. In the meantime you still have the beginnings of an aquarium, even though it is only one plant. When you have the aquarium finished, up and running the waiting will have been worth it. Hang in there :)

Ask a Question