test results

Reaction score
hi ive just been and got the api pond master testing kit till i get used to it can some one let me know if every thing is ok or if i need to do out i did all the test dont know if im ment to as there was ph and ph high

ph 7.6
ph high 7.8
ammonia o.
nitrite o.
nitrate 5.o
thanks for your help
tony

Reaction score
i'm not clear on your measurements. If you're ph is a steady 7.6, then this is fine and your fish can live comfortably in it. What is the 7.8 measurement? Did it fluctuate that much in a day?

Your two most important numbers, the ammonia and nitrite is 0, which ALWAYS need to be zero. These are the two most poisonous elements in a pond and the #1 and #2 killers of fish. So, you are good there.

All your readings seem fine. What are you worried about exactly?

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
i'm not clear on your measurements. If you're ph is a steady 7.6, then this is fine and your fish can live comfortably in it. What is the 7.8 measurement? Did it fluctuate that much in a day?

Your two most important numbers, the ammonia and nitrite is 0, which ALWAYS need to be zero. These are the two most poisonous elements in a pond and the #1 and #2 killers of fish. So, you are good there.

All your readings seem fine. What are you worried about exactly?

i dont know wot the ph high one is my self that is wot it said on that test but my ph test said 7.6 i have had a really bad fungal in my pond it lasted for 4 months and im just trying to keep my waters perfect as my fish are now healing so i can stop worrying now and keep testing now ive got this kit thanks for the help
tony

Reaction score
if your PH is 7.6, and doesn't fluctuate wildly, it's perfectly ok.

Just keep up your weekly (or twice weekly) 20% water changes. In the heat of summer you may have to do 30%.

But it sounds like you are doing okay, tony. Glad to hear the fish are healing.

If the fish look healthy and you are no longer plagued by illness or are dying, you can put away the test strips for a while. Just do one test each month just to be sure things are ok.

Unless I see something not quite right, I don't ever test.

Reaction score
tony0010 said:
i dont know wot the ph high one is my self that is wot it said on that test but my ph test said 7.6 i have had a really bad fungal in my pond it lasted for 4 months and im just trying to keep my waters perfect as my fish are now healing so i can stop worrying now and keep testing now ive got this kit thanks for the help
tony

API has 2 different reagents for their pH test. one reagent is for pH ranges 6.0 - 7.6 , the other is for 7.4 - 8.8 .

Reaction score
Squidhead said:
API has 2 different reagents for their pH test. one reagent is for pH ranges 6.0 - 7.6 , the other is for 7.4 - 8.8 .

exactly I have the same test kit. i don't do the normal PH test cause i know mine is always 8 and it always come out the same. i might test every two weeks. but in a 75GL aquarium changes happen fast as out friend with a Pondarium knows.

Reaction score
tony0010 said:
ok thats great thanks every one so i just use the ph test and not ph high

Well one nice thing is you can be sure where the pH is. You may need both to verify pH since you are at the end of the low pH and the begining of the high. The High pH test will be handy for your Marine set up also. Did the API master Pond kit also give you the saltwater test cards? The color bars represent different levels on the pH, Ammonia, and Nitrate tests. I believe the Nitrite is the same. If you don't have the cards I could tell you the values for each color for salt water.

Reaction score
Squidhead said:
Well one nice thing is you can be sure where the pH is. You may need both to verify pH since you are at the end of the low pH and the begining of the high. The High pH test will be handy for your Marine set up also. Did the API master Pond kit also give you the saltwater test cards? The color bars represent different levels on the pH, Ammonia, and Nitrate tests. I believe the Nitrite is the same. If you don't have the cards I could tell you the values for each color for salt water.

yes there is a card for salt water test i mite have a go at doing that one now the result was 0 is there a site that tells me wots good reading and wot it should be for fresh water then i dont have to check on here asking all the time
tony

Ask a Question