tested my pond water

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Johnny. As mentioned above, you want your pH to remain stable. Did you measure KH? If the water has low KH it means the water isn't buffered against pH swings. You mentioned that when you tested your water all your levels were 0. It is a problem if KH is 0. You would like to have KH of at least 80.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Johnny. As mentioned above, you want your pH to remain stable. Did you measure KH? If the water has low KH it means the water isn't buffered against pH swings. You mentioned that when you tested your water all your levels were 0. It is a problem if KH is 0. You would like to have KH of at least 80.
What is kh ...have no idea?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I was answering Meyers claim that 9.0 is safe for goldfish and koi which it is I put your name in as well as you agreed with Meyer .
I also taught Johnny a valuable lesson about Ph and what it can do to our fish if it stays above or below that range .
But yes 8.4Ph is in the safe area .
PMing you about the book after this :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was answering Meyers claim that 9.0 is safe for goldfish and koi which it is I put your name in as well as you agreed with Meyer .
I also taught Johnny a valuable lesson about Ph and what it can do to our fish if it stays above or below that range .
But yes 8.4Ph is in the safe area .
PMing you about the book after this :happy:

Dave

Got ya ;)

I was actually agreeing with the not messing with the ph part.

Yes, all good info (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Kh stands for Carbonate hardness Johnny
This is the measure of calcium and Magnesium saltd that are present in the water.
Eapecially if your water is alkaline, soft water [our area of the UK] tends to be associated with acidic conditons [we use Kusuri Lythaqua to bolster the water], its a form of calcified sea weed that breaks down over time.
Hard water indicates the water is alkaline , if you are experiencing ow leavels of Kh you may need to add minerals to your pond as your koi and goldfish need a certain amount of calcium and minerals for their good health.
It will help buffer the Ph whch will help you maintain a constant ph level .
As I said we use Lythaqua but as @Nephen said earlier she uses crushed oyster shells instead.
Differing medications react differently in soft or hard water areas so its best to know about your water conditions should you suddenly need to treat your koi .
Soft water makes the chemicals more toxic whilst in hard water areas its less toxic .
Hope you understand all this my friend ;)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I dont know much about it. I just know that having kh helps stabilize the pH and prevent the fluctuation :), so the more kh you have, the better.
Nephen Have you ever thought about trying Kusuri Lythaqua instead of crushed oystershells it good at what it does costs about £50 or so but it does last for ages one tub will do around about three seasons .
It comes with two fine mesh sacks so its a little less messy than Oystershell.
A quick tip for you all here a good and chea way of buying a net to hold your oyster shell in , go to the Supermarket and buy in the Laundry bf they are perfect .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I am no expert, but this link may be helpful
http://www.simikoi.com/article7.html
Interesting Cas but I would not put my koi in a pond with a Ph of anything above 8.5 , 9.0 would lead to all sorts of health issues already mentioned in my post above .
We keep ours at 7.0 -7.5 which is ideal for the two species being discussed .
The ideal readings for a pond are as follows :-

Ammonia – less than 0, 1 ppm
Nitrites – less than 0, 2 ppm
Nitrates – less than 50 ppm
pH – 7 to 8
Oxygen – more than 5 ppm
Alkalinity – 50 to 150 ppm
Hardness – 70 to 150 ppm
Salinity – up to 0, 3%
Chlorine – less than 0, 05 ppm

However an interesting read thank you :)

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kh stands for Carbonate hardness Johnny
This is the measure of calcium and Magnesium saltd that are present in the water.
Eapecially if your water is alkaline, soft water [our area of the UK] tends to be associated with acidic conditons [we use Kusuri Lythaqua to bolster the water], its a form of calcified sea weed that breaks down over time.
Hard water indicates the water is alkaline , if you are experiencing ow leavels of Kh you may need to add minerals to your pond as your koi and goldfish need a certain amount of calcium and minerals for their good health.
It will help buffer the Ph whch will help you maintain a constant ph level .
As I said we use Lythaqua but as @Nephen said earlier she uses crushed oyster shells instead.
Differing medications react differently in soft or hard water areas so its best to know about your water conditions should you suddenly need to treat your koi .
Soft water makes the chemicals more toxic whilst in hard water areas its less toxic .
Hope you understand all this my friend ;)

Dave
Yes it's good to know. Keeping up with the so called perfect pond takes a lot of work but when u sit out there and watch the fish swimming and having a good time, it's worth it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nephen Have you ever thought about trying Kusuri Lythaqua instead of crushed oystershells it good at what it does costs about £50 or so but it does last for ages one tub will do around about three seasons .
It comes with two fine mesh sacks so its a little less messy than Oystershell.
A quick tip for you all here a good and chea way of buying a net to hold your oyster shell in , go to the Supermarket and buy in the Laundry bf they are perfect .

Dave
I'll keep that in mind. I have huge bag of oyster shells :) I just spread them in my bog and stream bed.

Ask a Question