Testing the water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Are there water testing kits that are better than others? Is there a preferable one and where can it be purchased?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How large is your bank balance? There are many different water quality test kits and equipment (colorimeters, photimeters) on the market geared for every possible venue of use. For the average pond hobbyist, the API test kits are probably your best bet. Although the results require visual color judgement, they will give you a fairly close idea of the chemical parameter levels of your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Are there water testing kits that are better than others? Is there a preferable one and where can it be purchased?
Yes API do a very good pond test kit but you will have to buy the nitate test kit seperately

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B

Is this one OK?

Attachments

• WATRKIT.jpg
    WATRKIT.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 249
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yes, but as @Dave 54 mentioned, you'll have to buy the nitrate test separately. It's quite aggravating they don't sell it all in one kit ! I think it's the nitrate, as opposed to nitrite, but check the labels.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, but as @Dave 54 mentioned, you'll have to buy the nitrate test separately. It's quite aggravating they don't sell it all in one kit ! I think it's the nitrate, as opposed to nitrite, but check the labels.
No, this one is the "Master Test kit" and it's the one that does include nitrate. It's the "Master Pond" kit that has phosphate instead of nitrate.

@Fishfinder This is the one I use [the one you showed], but I add the "KH" & "GH" tests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh, you are absolutely right! I just saw the word Master. I have the Master Pond kit and couldn't believe it didn't include the nitrate :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, you are absolutely right! I just saw the word Master. I have the Master Pond kit and couldn't believe it didn't include the nitrate :(
Yes I noticed it when I bought my latest kits that they have dropped the Nitrate test kit out from the Master test kit , its jut another way for the Aquatic companies to earn an honest profit "NOT" its a bit of a damn rip off on their behalf .
Yet thy leave a hole for the kit to go into so why not just add the kit ?

Dave

Ask a Question