Tetra Algorem Green Water

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I might of added to much, water instantly turned a light cloudy white.
Has anyone used to product? Is this normal?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I might of added to much, water instantly turned a light cloudy white.
Has anyone used to product? Is this normal?

@Magzire how many gallons is your pond and how much do you think you used over the top ?
I use it from time to time , did you work out the gallonage prior to treating the water ?
Did you also give the bottle a good shake before adding the AlgoRem to a watering can then spreading it over the surface of your pond ?
I've never heard of a pond turning white before with this treatment , woul you happen to know wether or not you are in a soft or hard water area, do you know the Kh perameter of your water ?
Have you had any heavy rainfall of late as it is suggested you do a water change if this is the case ?.
Also what time of the day did you treat your pond .....why....because it is suggested you treat your pond in the early morning before the heat of the day this is because you need to observe your fish just in case they start gasping at the surface , if this happens then you must remove your fish from your pond and put them in a Quarentine Tank.....
Next did you add any extra airstones to the pond prior to your treating the pond as this is again suggested ?
Used correctly AlgoRem is safe for fish and plants but if you keep sturgeon it is harmful to them and they should be removed prior to treatment .
Most important of all allways follow the instructions on the bottle my friend

Dave

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
how many gallons is your pond and how much do you think you used over the top ?
160g/ 600ltr

I use it from time to time , did you work out the gallonage prior to treating the water ?

Its 10 mls for every 200 litres. I think i added 75 mls to 600 litres

Did you also give the bottle a good shake before adding the AlgoRem to a watering can then spreading it over the surface of your pond ?

I gave it a shake but didn't mix into bucket first

Soft or hard water ?

City water so i am guessing soft.

Kh perameter of your water ?

Tested 2 hours after treatment.

Cl2 - 0
pH - 7.2
KH - 6 degree
GH - 8 degree
NO2 - 1
NO3 - 10
NH4 - 0.1

Have you had any heavy rainfall of late as it is suggested you do a water change if this is the case ?

Yes, very heavy rainfall for 3 hours prior to adding in algorem.

Also what time of the day did you treat your pond
5pm

Next did you add any extra airstones to the pond prior to your treating the pond as this is again suggested ?
Just ordered a pump on amazon. At the moment i am only using water features and fountain for aeration.

I thinking adding to much and not mixing it first might be the main reason. Anyways thanks for info dave.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Also i turned off the pump/filter so i could feed my fish. After 1 hour all the white stuff was laying at the bottom while the top of the water was clear.
Once i turned on the pump again all the water became cloudy again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I guess i will have to do a water change, the white stuff is way to small and goes straight through the filter. Or need some finer foam to put in the filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok wait six days before you treat your pond with AlgoRem again in the mean time get the airpump installed , also buy a new plastic watering can so you can spread the mix of water and algoRem across the entire pond buying new also ensures no residue like weedkiller etc .
AlgoRem acts as a Flucculant which simply means it clumps the algae together remember to net the clumps from the side of your pond.
What do you feed your fish pellet or flake and if flake why?...... you must never turn off your filter exept for maintence ....
Pellets are far better to feed your fish with, next instead of foam buy either Quilt batting or filterwool .
Treat at 8am not 5pm and observe your fish throughout th treatment every hour on the our
Remember to work out the exact gallonage of your pond priot to treament best of luck my friend

Dave

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have 30 gal plastic container. I usually pump the pond water into it then empty and refill with tap water while also treating. Will use that method next time.

As for food I use fish pellets, sticks and flakes. I can see why flakes could be bad for the water. Will try to cut it out.

Will have a look out for those foams. Thanks Dave!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I am at a lost here, 50% water chance yesterday and 70% today and probably worst. Its like the algae just dissolved into the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I am at a lost here, 50% water chance yesterday and 70% today and probably worst. Its like the algae just dissolved into the water.
You've done far to much in the water change department, allow the pond to settle out for a while , it sounds like youve disturbed the water allowing the algae to disolve into the water then as I said yesterday wait six days before treating the pond again .
Use that time to buy a plastic watering can then as I've described before treat the pond in the morning and as the algae clumps up against the sides of your pond scoop it out with a net this has primarilly happened because you most probably used far to much to treat your pond with , it was done at the wrong time of the day and you didnt kep an eye on what your pond was doing .
Also use the time to allow your airpump to arrive as well as working out the exact volume of your pond.
pouring the water in from a container has allowed the water to become cloudy again .
Using a watering can to deliver the AlgoRem into your pond ensures that only the surface of the water is disturbed then thanx to the extra airstones the water will be mixed and the flucculant action of the AlgoRem will then cause large bubbles to form and float across to the sides of your pond whrere you can net it out .
I've never had a problem when using it and it delivers crystal clear water in the pond .

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Dave54-

I finally received the Algorem MSDS from Tetra. Apparently the reporting requirements are different in Germany than they are here in the U.S. Almost every category on this MSDS states "Not Available" so no usable information Pro or Con can be obtained from this MSDS. I do find this curious that the manufacturer of a product would not have extensive information available on the product.
I certainly have no interest in using a product that the manufacturer can not or will not supply information concerning its safety.

Reaction score
Dave54-

I finally received the Algorem MSDS from Tetra. Apparently the reporting requirements are different in Germany than they are here in the U.S. Almost every category on this MSDS states "Not Available" so no usable information Pro or Con can be obtained from this MSDS. I do find this curious that the manufacturer of a product would not have extensive information available on the product.
I certainly have no interest in using a product that the manufacturer can not or will not supply information concerning its safety.
Does it not even list the ingredients?

Reaction score
Interesting, that the MSDS basically claims that it is perfectly safe and thus has no legal reason to list any "hazardous" ingredients. Of course the "hazardous" only applies to humans. You can kill fish all day long with it, but until some human gets sick or dies from it I guess they are under no legal obligation to list any of the ingredients.
Still, I wonder what's in it? :cautious:

Ask a Question