Tetra Algorem killed my fish in HARD water. Followed instructions to the letter and within 3 hours 8 of 9 fish dead. £70 worth of stock.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a garden
pond of 750 gallons and live in a hard water area. The pond had green bloom algae which had started to die off and turn into brown patches on the surface. The water still had a lot of green algae mid water so used Algrem in the correct dosage. 3 hours later all our fish were dead or dying, managed to save one by putting it into a separate container. I will never ever use Algorem again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We’ve seen frequent cases of folks using any anti algae stuff and ending up with dead fish. The best way to remove algae for good is to out compete it for nutrients, more plants, and shade the pond. A temporary fix is to set up a filter of quilt batting to catch the algae. Set up a plastic laundry basket with plenty of holes in it under a waterfall or with a hose from the pump going into it. Be sure it’s where all the water will flow back into the pond. The batting may need changed or rinsed off several times. If you have to rinse it, use pond water, not city water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So sorry to hear that. It is so sad to have your fishy friends die.

Check into adding a small bog filter if you can, pea gravel, water and plants. I never have green bloom algae.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks for joining. I suspect that poor water quality, overstocked pond, and increased C02 and depletion of O2 is what killed the fish. We never recommend any brand of algaecide here at Garden Pond forum. We are here to provide and share information to the garden pond community as a whole. Please stick around, plenty of members here to offer advice and get you on the right track to avoid such situations. Sorry for the loss of your fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1595689056684.gif
@Peterpond

Plants and bog will cure your algae issues. Wish I had made one long ago. No algaecide used in my pond either ever! Now you know you want to keep the short green carpet algae that grows on the sides and bottom of your pond liner right? It's beneficial.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very sorry to hear about your fish loss @Peterpond.

I see a couple of previous comments mentioning using a bog filter. I'd highly agree with that if it's possible for you to add one. I use only a bog filter to keep my water clean and clear. It really does incredible work. Water clarity is great year-round. I get some surface algae in late-spring, but as soon as the waterlilies start shooting up and covering part of the surface, it all goes away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, we've had so many people come here with the same exact story. So-called fish friendly algecides that end up killing their fish. It's probably the most common problem posted here. It's horrible. They sell that stuff to fill their pockets with cash.

Never any chemicals near my pond. All natural.

I'm also a believer in bog filtration. Virtually no maintenance and crystal clear water.

L

Lin

Welcoming you. I too only use organic products, if I use any product at all. Right now I have been using Barley Concentrate which is helping keep my bio water fall clean, yet leaves the moss and plants in good health.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That's so sad. Algaecide does the trick of killing the algae--and it does it so quickly that the pond has no chance to process the excess nutrients in a healthy way. I do not understand why these companies don't work harder to add instructions for people with active ecosystems in their ponds. The chemicals themselves may not be dangerous to fish, but they must realize after a number of complaints from customers that there's more to be considered when it comes to animal safety...

Ugh. I hate the pet/animal industry. So much ignorance, so much neglect and profiteering.

Ask a Question