Tetra Pond UV Installation Help

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Here I post again another issue along with the others I have been having. :)

I got the Tetrapond UV2 today evening and I tried to install it. I want to do a 1.5" inlet and a1.5" outlet to and from the UV clarifier. I have a 1.5" hard PVC on either end of where the UV clarifier will go. I bought the flexible 2" hose from home depot (the rubber one) which was the biggest they had and after installing the UV with hose clamps, it leaked from the inlet and outlet... so I removed it and am posting the problem.

Three questions:
  1. What kind of flexible pipe to use for the tetra UV2 for a 1.5" inlet/outlet? Where to buy it from?
  2. The fact that the tetra has inlet and outlet on opposite sides, how do I make sure that the unit remains horizontal?
  3. What are the mounting brackets for? I cannot find a way to make them usable?

Reaction score
I have the smaller one from Tetra that takes 1-1/4" hose, but I will try to help you.

1. I use the 1-1/4" Tetra hose I got from Lowes (I also use teflon tape on the hose barb). I think my Home Depot has 1-1/2" pond hose.

2. I did not have any issue with the uv light laying down flat. I placed the unit where I wanted it, and then slid the hose over the barbs.

3. I am not using the brackets, but they can be installed in between the inlet and outlet.

Reaction score
Here is a couple of pics that may help. first pic is uv light. 2nd pic is Faux rock cover over light.

Attachments

• UV Light.jpg
    UV Light.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 398
  • UV Light Cover.jpg
    UV Light Cover.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 398
Reaction score
Thanks KoisRus. My UV position is in between the white PVC and the black (which goes towards my waterfall). You can see there is an empty space between the two where I plan to put the UV. That is why I am wondering if it will stay suspended in te air liek that.

Also, on either side is a 1.5" had PVC, so i need to have a 1.5" hose minimum. Seems like the one you have is corrugated. Does the clamp fit well over it? Do you also have PVC on the other side?

Attachments

• Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 451
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 371
Reaction score
I would definitely put something under it for support, (like the 4x4 for the water pipe you have there, with maybe a piece of 2x6 screwed flat on top for the uv to sit on and mount to).

The corrugated hose works pretty good, I did use Teflon tape over the hose barbs on the uv light. I do not have any pvc pipe in my system, at least not this year, maybe next year when I hook up the filter I just built.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
putting the U.V after a gravity return filter will add some restriction to its flow. so be careful. you may need to add a second retun or split the one you have and add a ballvalve so you can control what part of the water has to flow thru the U.V i havent had an issue running mine before the filter in the 3 years its been used. 9 watt tetrapond, 1200 gph thru it. this year its been turned off since May and left inline. (ordinarily i woud run it for 10 days, take it offline and put it away) but i use prefilters lt clears my 1200 gal pond in 3 days.....

Reaction score
I have 2 returns. One 1.5" and 1 2" both then combining to a 1.5" PVC that you see in the picture. Both the returns have ball valves already on them to control the flow. Why do you think flowing under gravity will restrict the flow? This UV can take up to 2200 GPH, I'll be sending less than that for sure.

I don't have a skimmer or a pre-filter yet, so thats why I decided to put the UV after the filter. I read that it works fine in both cases.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the rating on the u.v is the most it can effectively treat not the most that can flow thru it. put 2200 gph thru it on a single gravity feed not a pressurized one and watch your filter over flow!

Reaction score
Koiguy is correct that if installed after the filter it can restrict the flow, if you have two seperate return lines you should be fine, if they join together after the uv into a large enough line you should aslo be fine.

When I hook my new filter up next year the uv will be after the filter, I will have two seperate 1-1/2" return lines, one will run to my uv and one straight to the pond.

Reaction score
Thanks koisRus and koiguy.
So I heard your advice and broke the plumbing apart. I now have the 1.5" going to the UV clarifier and the 2" going straight after the UV where both the flows join to a 1.5" whch feeds my water fall. I have the UV sitting on a make shift of concrete blocks and bricks.

I purchased the 1.5" blue vaccum hose from Home Depot and a 1.5" adapter and somehow was able to get the hose and the UV clarifier barb on but when I started the water, it leaked from all 4 joints. :(

I have removed the UV now and applied silicone to the joints. Will put it back tomorrow and update everyone.

Reaction score
Okay, still a small leak on the side where the tetra fitting goes in to the hose but pretty small leak, so I am letting the UV run.

I did ~ 50% water change tonight and the nitrites seem to have gone down. I will test tomorrow with my API kit and post responses.

Ask a Question