Tetracycline discontinued?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 fish I have in a 150 gallon quarantine tank being treated for secondary problems from an earlier problem. I have been using the Fish-cycline capsules (1 per 10 gal). When I went to order more it is not available as it seems to be discontinued. They do have packets of powder but to treat a 150 gal. tank for 5- 10 days would be very expensive. I did find a couple of places on Ebay that have the capsules but they are from Thailand or Hongkong. Has anyone else found a supply or a substitute? One fish being treated for finrot and the other I caught with an early case of dropsy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I normally keep API Triple Sulfa on hand should I need to treat any fish with an antibiotic in the water ( I prefer to use medicated food if possible)

You should be able to find it at most any aquatic store or online.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks- I will check that out. I am also using antibiotic food as well but it can't be used in cold water situations.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure : )

I prefer the triple sulfa over the tetracycline especially if you suspect your fish has dropsy. Tetracycline is hard on the kidneys and when a fish has dropsy the kidneys are affected and not properly functioning. That's why you will see the fluid retention or the fish bloating.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Didn't realize that- Had been treating for 4 days and she was looking better. I was hopeful but she died last night. I will stock up on the triple sulfa and hope I never need to use it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh I'm sorry to hear that mrsclem :(

Don't beat yourself up, once a fish starts to show signs of dropsy it's hard to save them. And if you do they can get sick again real easy.

I always keep some type of antibiotic on hand (just in case) but knock on wood haven't needed to use it in a while now. I have had medications expire on me (I throw them out) but I figure the cost is worth the peace of mind ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Terramycine has been gone for some time in the UK Mrschem weve replaced ours with Baytril which can either be inkjected or mixed in with pellets over the course of the treatment personally we inject its lass of a hassle

Dave

Ask a Question