The amount of recent spam in this forum...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Wow, there sure has been a lot of spam recently. Any way to stop like, like getting the mods to approve any new members before they are allowed to join or post?

Reaction score
I remember one of this forum member expressing an interest in programming a spam bot program, he hasn`t been around for a while, perhaps he finally got it up and running.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It seems like there is always a real increase near the holidays. (no science behind this statement) lol

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Spammers are busy during the night, it's not to much trouble to clean it up in the morning

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There are some measures in place but screening new members can be time consuming, Besides, Dr. Dave doesn't mind one bit blocking them when they get reported if that's all they are posting. It's like a race every day from the mod. group who gets to delete the spammers, You report them we'll remove them!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The few times I've reported anything, it’s been in the wee hours of the morning when I'll notice these odd topic titles. Don't know if the goal of a spammer is to get on early in the day for a reason, or just a coincidence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry about the recent spam folks! We are all too aware of the problem, but with the current forum software there is not much we can do to prevent it apart from to moderate new members which is really not desirable. We will be upgrading the forum software in the near future, and one of the many benefits is that it is a lot better at preventing spam from being posted.

We've also got a snazzy new design if you fancy taking a sneaky peek!

Idea.jpg

The reason we've not been able to upgrade yet is that the gallery software isn't up to scratch, and we want to wait for the new version to be released. It should be soon, but we don't have a date yet. As soon as I know more I'll let you know :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice look, thanks for all the work you do on the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Mmathis said:
I like the new look! :)

BTW, just curious, but HOW does software tell the difference between spam and a legit posting?
Spammers tend to use IP addresses or email addresses which have previously been used to post spam, and the new software recognises this better. For example if a known spammer makes a post, then it is put in a moderation queue with the new software rather than hitting the forum straight away. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than the current software!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ahhh mogsie brings back memories of my dad .I have not looked at a can of it for a long long time .

Ask a Question