The asian carp are coming.......argh

Reaction score
Just curious, has anyone been following this story? It appears that asian carp have been found in a channel in chicago that is one lock away from the great lakes. Michigan is readying a law suit against both Illinois and the EPA for inaction to pevent them from entering the great lakes and destroying a 11 billion dollar industry. Interesting stuff............

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There have been documentaries on the carp jumping and actually causing great bodily harm to boaters in the rivers in the midwest US. These are likely to be the same ones. There was a story this past week about killing over 100,000 in an effort to reduce the population.

Reaction score
These are the same ones, they have slowly been moving north over time and now have appeared 40 miles from Lake Michigan. It's a pretty big story locally, was curious if it got any national attention...........

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There is no way they will ever prevent enough of them unless they poison the river back to it's source. You know that is not going to happen.

They should allow mass netting and unlimited fishing without permits and the population will at least be held up. Turn the Asian fishing experts loose. I am sure a lot of usefull things can be made from the meat and by products. This could be a good way to employ a lot of out of work auto factory people. Although I think most are too proud and spoiled to do this kind of work.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Keep your head down low ...When your out in the boat..;)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WOW.... where the heck have i been? this thread is really the first i've heard of this.. and this $#!+ is unreal...

Reaction score
I've been hearing about bow fishing. There are guides now that will take you out in a boat and provide you a bow with a fishing reel attached and you shoot them as they are in the air. Sounds like a lot of fun.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I guess you would have to be a great shot to be successful at bow hunting a moving target from a moving platform.

Ask a Question