The bad and the good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
About a month ago I started noticing my fish were suddenly very skittish, not even coming up for food. I finally turned off the pumps to take a look, and realized I had lost a LOT of smaller fish. Started watching in the early mornings, and discovered a heron has been visiting. I scared him off a couple times, then strung up some fishing line. Fortunately I haven't seen him back since then.

Probably related... there's been some recent articles about a bunch of goldfish being released in one of the local reservoirs, breeding like mad, and officials have been planning ways they can eliminate the fish, including draining the reservoir. The problem was solved for them though... suddenly there's been a huge surge in pelicans and herons in the area, and the goldfish population appears to have been wiped out. Unfortunately for me, that means more birds of prey circling the area.

Since I've scared off the heron, I came home from work Tuesday to a new surprise -- a pair of mallard ducks were in the pond! The female was working her way around, pulling up algae, eating the duckweed, and nibbling at the moneywort, while the male followed nervously close behind. They wandered around the pond, around the yard, back in the pond, probably stayed about an hour before they took off. This weekend I'm going to pick up some corn to put out, just in case they come back. Anybody that gets rid of that algae is a friend of mine! The female also settled in around the irises several times, potentially looking for a place to nest? Not sure how skittish they will be. Our dogs are too old to even run, let alone do more than look at them (one can't even use her hind legs any more). If the ducks decide to settle in, I think everyone should get along fine, but we'll see if they even come back.

IMG_8689.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Oh I deal with that anyway from all the other birds that come to visit. The visitors seem to change every year, but some years are pretty bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Yep, my parents put out corn in their yard. They live next to an irrigation ditch in town, so they get all kinds of ducks and quail showing up to feed. This is the first time I've ever seen ducks at my place. I have several large trees around my pond so it is fairly hidden from view, but I figured eventually someone would find it. Just wish the heron hadn't!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love the ducks! We had them here once, just in the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've seen the ducks back twice more when I've been home. No idea if they're showing up in the daytime while I'm at work, but I put some corn out for them. They seem to like my little pond with all its overgrown algae, so maybe once they discover the corn they'll come back more often. The algae is growing so fast and thick that it keeps clogging up my pumps. Came home last night to barely a trickle of water, and its been less than a week since the last cleaning.

I think between my yelling & screaming, and the fishing line over the pond, I've scared off the heron. Have not seen him back, and my fish are finally starting to come out again. We've had rainy weather for the past week, and a possibility of another snow on Saturday night, but the water has been warming up. Hopefully get my last two poor hyacinths put out soon. I'm thinking of just letting those guys propagate and not getting any more, keep it light this year and see how it goes. I have other floating plants to put out, but it would be nice to have the water partially open for once.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

Probably related... there's been some recent articles about a bunch of goldfish being released in one of the local reservoirs, breeding like mad, and officials have been planning ways they can eliminate the fish, including draining the reservoir. The problem was solved for them though... suddenly there's been a huge surge in pelicans and herons in the area, and the goldfish population appears to have been wiped out.

That's a good ending to that problem.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had Mllards visit one time for about an hour. Both a female and male. I thought it was cool and took a bunch of pictures, but the fish were scared out of their wits. One thing I found out when I did a little research is that ducks can carry insects that can cause disease in a pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Keith - I would say that is a danger from ALL visitors to a pond. You never know what waters they were previously visiting, so they could carry just about anything. That is probably how most of the beneficial bacteria is transferred to new ponds, or how things like water striders show up. I've had some years where the waterfall was covered in what looked like a miniature inchworm. All you can really do is try to maintain a clean pond and keep your fish in good health to weather any disease that might be introduced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
They were actually something else (this got discussed about three years ago), but I forget what they were. They were listed as non-harmful, but the fish still loved to eat them... the fish would line up in front of the waterfall waiting for one to get knocked loose. :)

Ask a Question