The ball has started rolling! New pond in new house!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most of you who follow me know that we moved to our current home 2 years ago. Old pond was :cry: demolished, but goldfish and some plants came with us to the new place....and have been living in temporary quarters in the backyard: a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank and an Intex pool (the kind with the inflatable top ring.).

Our original plan was to get the new pond started this spring, but then Covid-19 hit, and we decided a safe course of action would be to put our plans on hold until finances were a little more stable. In the meantime, I bought another Intex pool, but this one is a 10’ diameter pool with an exterior frame. It’s a little over 1000 gallons. I wanted to combine all fish and plants into a single “pond,” rather than have them in 2 separate ones. This temp. “Pond” is semi-under an oak tree, so found a net and set it up over the “pond.” So far, so good. No comments, please, about my electrical set-up. I know it’s not safe (an extension cord:nailbiting:), but the cord with the pump is a GFIC cord, AND the whole line is on a house GFIC circuit.

Here’s the NEW, temporary “pond.”

A34DC895-8AE5-4C52-A66F-69DFF7AE349F.jpeg

Anyway, my news is that hubby gave me the go-ahead. We had a pond builder come out yesterday to give us our first estimate! Hubby wants me to get at least 2 other estimates, so I’ll be on the phone today, making calls.

Of course, the new pond will include a bog! And....because of the box turtles, it will also have a satellite bog — a separate bog pool incorporated into their habitat.

Stay tuned for updates!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Most of you who follow me know that we moved to our current home 2 years ago. Old pond was :cry: demolished, but goldfish and some plants came with us to the new place....and have been living in temporary quarters in the backyard: a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank and an Intex pool (the kind with the inflatable top ring.).

Our original plan was to get the new pond started this spring, but then Covid-19 hit, and we decided a safe course of action would be to put our plans on hold until finances were a little more stable. In the meantime, I bought another Intex pool, but this one is a 10’ diameter pool with an exterior frame. It’s a little over 1000 gallons. I wanted to combine all fish and plants into a single “pond,” rather than have them in 2 separate ones. This temp. “Pond” is semi-under an oak tree, so found a net and set it up over the “pond.” So far, so good. No comments, please, about my electrical set-up. I know it’s not safe (an extension cord:nailbiting:), but the cord with the pump is a GFIC cord, AND the whole line is on a house GFIC circuit.

Here’s the NEW, temporary “pond.”

View attachment 134483

Anyway, my news is that hubby gave me the go-ahead. We had a pond builder come out yesterday to give us our first estimate! Hubby wants me to get at least 2 other estimates, so I’ll be on the phone today, making calls.

Of course, the new pond will include a bog! And....because of the box turtles, it will also have a satellite bog — a separate bog pool incorporated into their habitat.

Stay tuned for updates!
YAYYYYYYY!!!! I have been waiting for you to start your build since I couldnt find your old pond :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wonderful news!! Can't wait for photographic updates!

PS - I will never criticize your electrical set up. One of my pumps, by necessity, has to be plugged permanently into an extension cord which runs to the (yes, GFI) outlet. Ya do what ya gotta do... right? ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sounds interesting!
You make me want to get a couple of turtles for my plant pond, but I don't know the first thing about keeping turtles. ..I have wild ones visiting sometime, but they just seem to be passing through, I've never seen them around the pond. I'm not sure how I would keep them from leaving
Good luck with your project, I will be following!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck with your build.
You are the FOREMOST expect on the turtle habitat so speak your mind to the builder.
I'm sure your familar with kamp kenna on you tube but i would pick apart those videos tooth to nail

Ask a Question