The Big one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Came across this fishy tale that happened during the Californian quake it appears that the fish keeper was asleep whilst the quake hit until he was hit on the head
What was it that gave him a hefty clout , was it his ceiling coming down around his ears no it was "read on"..:-

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....ling_fish_tank_in_earthquake&utm_content=html

Might have learned a valuable lesson there dont you think ???
Watch out where you put your fish tank in future my friend or as you found they hurt :(

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We had an earthquake here several yrs ago when my hubby was in California on a job. The earth started shaking and first thing I thought of was..............the fish tank! I jumped up and stood there w/ my arms around this 72 gal aquarium as the quake began. Water was sloshing a bit but it stayed upright. Really wasn't too smart to be standing there holding it but I just couldn't bear the thought of losing all my fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Never been in an earthquake j.w. hurricanes yes, water spouts yes, but never an earthquake , its on my to do list though ...

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was in Cali. just after the one there I was there in 89 .I stayed in Vallejo

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I've been in 3 big earthquakes in 3 separate places. I wasn't in the current house so I didn't have any fish tanks when the Seattle one happened.

I was in the 1989 California one.

I was in the 1999/2000 Seattle one, though there have been quite a few here. At least 3-4 medium/big ones.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I remember the April 1965 Seattle earthquake. I was on my way up the hill in a city bus to Queen Anne high school, the kind of bus that had the long arms on top that attached to wires. It was about 8:30am and I was late.............of course,lol!
We were halfway up the big hill and all of a sudden the bus started jumping around and the arms on top of the bus came off the wires and the driver stopped the bus. We sat and watched chimneys fall of the houses across the street. It stopped rocking and the bus continued on to school and they wouldn't let us go into the building as things were a bit cracked up inside. All the books in the school library fell off the shelves and one of my friends had been in the gym and she said she had freaked out and was running around screaming about needing to have last rights before she died..............yikes! I thought it was a bit of fun drama for the day. Yay they canceled school for that day too!

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
For the past couple of years we have been getting earthquakes here in Oklahoma. Not really sure why, but we have been getting several a week up to 4.0. A few years ago we had a 5.7 and that was enough to look into earthquake insurance. We got our insurance for $12 a year and now they are charging over $500 a year! So I guess extreme heat, extreme cold, extreme temp swings, wildfires, drought, tornado's wasn't enough for us to deal with, now we have earthquakes! I'm starting to think that Oklahoma is Mother Natures playground.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Isn't that due to the fracking going on their on Ok? I've been in earthquakes in both Cali and Hawaii, Tsunami's, Hurricane's, Lava Flows in Hawaii, Volcano eruption in Washington State, Flooding, snowstorms... I'm not sure what's left but I'm pretty sure I don't need to see it.

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
No one is really sure. The big oil companies here help fund the politicians to get elected. Then once elected the politicians don't want to say it is fracking caused by the oil companies because the money will dry up. The scientists get their funding from the government so they are more interested in keeping their job than the facts. Then our governor just spent 5 million of the tax payers money to do a study that declared that they don't know what is causing the earthquakes. Yea for politics :mad:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm, but didn't it go like this...Few to no earthquakes....Fracking....A bunch of land shaking and rolling? I mean I'm not all sciencey but that seems to be pretty basic cause and effect stuff to me. LOL

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think it could be the evil empire of Drunken Eskimo Leprechauns from Swaziland, building a top secret underground base to track the whereabouts of the Travelocity's Garden Gnome.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All this talk reminds of the song that was so popular here back when Mt St Helens blew her top....................by the way you will be singing this all day and in your sleep too :LOL:

Ask a Question