The blocks I think we're gonna go with

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by Gemma, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Gemma

Gemma

Yesterday we went looking for ideas on what to use to build our next pond, and we saw these 8"x17" blocks we really liked! The liner will separate the blocks from the water, but I was wondering if it'd be ok to also used them inside the pond, in the step down from the plant section to the main pond, or would it raise the (already high) ph too much? 20171007_112950.jpg

Gemma, Oct 8, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson and Tula like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemma

Angel

Not sure about ph but use underlayment between them and the liner if used in the pond.

Angel, Oct 8, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

If they are concrete, they should be fine.

MoonShadows, Oct 8, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  4. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

I would strongly advise against using any stone or rock that has sharp edges below the water line. Come spawning season and you may end up with a few minced fish!

Meyer Jordan, Oct 8, 2017
    sissy, Tula and Gemma like this.
  5. Gemma

Gemma

I can't believe I did't think of that,I should have known better since we had to remove and grind most of the stones, after the contractor was done, because they had sharp edges!
    Thank you so much @Meyer Jordan for bringing this up!

Gemma, Oct 8, 2017
  6. Gemma

Tula

Oh, how exciting.....another pond build ! Will it be a separate pond, or are you making changes to your current one?

Tula, Oct 8, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  7. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Might have been a contractor by legal classification, but they obviously knew very little about constructing functioning ponds.

Meyer Jordan, Oct 9, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  8. Gemma

Gemma

It's a new pond!
    There isn't much that I can do to the existing pond, other than swap stones if I find better ones!
    My next pond will be a couple of feet above ground,with a flat top, and it will have a shelf that way I can sit on the edge and interact with my fish...something I cannot do in the existing pond and is the main reason why I'm building another one.
    You got that right!

Gemma, Oct 9, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  9. Gemma

CometKeith

I wouldn't use them inside your pond or where they can touch the water. Anything made of Portland cement is fine for ponds, but blocks like these will make your water very alkaline.

CometKeith, Oct 10, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  10. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

I have always been led to believe that any concrete block is made primarily of portland cement, aggregate, sand and water. What ingredient in these blocks would make them more alkaline?

Meyer Jordan, Oct 10, 2017
    Mucky_Waters likes this.
  11. Gemma

Gemma

I'm not sure if I can even find out what's in these blocks, they are called "Landscaping concrete blocks", they have a very faint shade of blue, and tan, but other than that it looks like concrete.
    My ph is already high though so I can't take any chances, I will only use them out of the water

Gemma, Oct 12, 2017
  12. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

This might be an appropriate time to address another of those 'myths', 'Old wives tales' associated with ponds. That anything containing limestone will adversely affect the pH of a pond's water column.
    Limestone is primarily Calcium carbonate. Sound familiar? It should as it is the mineral that KH is derived from. Adding limestone, in any form, to a pond will increase the KH which, as we all know, serves to stabilize the pH. In and of itself,KH will not raise or lower the pH of a pond's water column.
    One ounce of lime will raise the Alkalinity approximately one (1) point for every 4500 gallons.It is used qu9ite often to stabilize the pH in fishery and farm ponds.
    Any leachate occurring from concrete, either poured or block form will be well below this above given rate so it would be slow to even affect the Alkalinity (KH).
    Additionally, lime (Calcium carbonate) will add a certain level of CO2 to the water which aids in photosynthesis.
    One could infer that concrete blocks could be a beneficial addition to the overall water chemistry

Meyer Jordan, Oct 12, 2017
    cas, MoonShadows and Gemma like this.
  13. Gemma

Gemma

When I joined this Forum last year, I read about high ph and concrete and immediately removed every concrete pot my husband had made for the plants in the pond, but my ph never changed one bit, so after a while, I put them all back in the water

Gemma, Oct 12, 2017
  14. Gemma

CometKeith

Meyer this is from wikipedia re: concrete blocks
    Composition[edit]
    Concrete blocks are made from cast concrete (e.g. Portland cement and aggregate, usually sand and fine gravel, for high-density blocks). Lower density blocks may use industrial wastes, such as fly ash or bottom ash, as an aggregate.[2] Lightweight blocks can also be produced using autoclaved aerated concrete.

When I buy cement for our building projects there are lots of choices besides Portland cement at the local supply store.

CometKeith, Oct 13, 2017
  15. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Portland cement is still the prime ingredient. Many and varied substances are used as aggregates.

Meyer Jordan, Oct 13, 2017
  16. Gemma

cas

Well, I just had to revise my notes!

cas, Oct 13, 2017
    addy1 likes this.
  17. Gemma

Nyboy

Very cool do you have a photo of pots your husband made ? I have a cement mold for lions head, but how many lion heads can one use

Nyboy, Oct 13, 2017
    Gemma and MoonShadows like this.
  18. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

@Nyboy Most lions only need one. :whistle:

MoonShadows, Oct 13, 2017
    JamieB, Nyboy and Gemma like this.
  19. Gemma

Gemma

The pots in the pond are impossible to be seen at the moment, because the plants grew over them, but I can show you some I have around the pond
    I have all different sizes! I replace some of the stones of the perimeters with theses pots, they blend right in
    They have a large opening on both ends, so I use them straight up on dry land, and I tip them over (like a volcano) in the water 20171013_115734.jpg 20171013_115639.jpg 20171013_115708.jpg 20171013_115628.jpg

Gemma, Oct 13, 2017
    Nyboy, addy1, sissy and 2 others like this.
  20. Gemma

sissy sissy

love you pots .I made hypertufa ones but my problem is ,someone comes over likes them I give them to them .I did make elephant ear water holders for butterflies and birds and bees to drink from 100_7311.JPG 100_8904.JPG

sissy, Oct 13, 2017
    Nyboy and Gemma like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question