The death of a gold fish

ori

Reaction score
Country
Israel
greetings,
I'm new here and I'm new in the fish pond business.
last week on of my goldfish died and I would like to know what could be the cause of that. (maybe natural death?)
what are the signs for oxygen deficiency and ammonia excess?
could it be that i have too much plants?
I have 5 goldfish and 6-7 Rosy barb (but I'm not sure about the last- maybe its different kind of fish)
regards,

Ori

Attachments

• IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 241

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Welcome to our club. Ponding isn't a business, it's a disease!
You'll want to get a test kit.. The most popular one if you can get it is API pondmaster.
api-freshwater-master-test-kit10531.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. There are a lot of reasons why fish die. We need more information about your pond.

Please look over this info and answer as many questions as you can.

Before posting please take a moment to think about what information could really help the other members to help you. If your question is about water quality then this is particularly important! Water quality can have a great impact on fish health. To help us better help you with your fish or water problems please read the following.

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for any issues to be identified. Therefore please answer these questions as completely as possible:

Water quality
* Ammonia Level (pond)
* Nitrite Level (pond)
* Ammonia Level (tap water)
* Nitrite Level (tap water)
* Ph Level, pond (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Ph Level, tap water (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Other useful information:
* Water temperature?
* Pond size and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and size of the filter(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the pond and their type?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners have you used?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the pond recently?
* Any medications added to the pond?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and pond
* Any unusual findings on the fish?
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

If this is an EMERGENCY and your fish are in immediate danger, we encourage you to post ASAP regardless.

If you do not have a test kit, you may be able to take samples of your pond and tap water to your local fish store for testing (which is often free). Please request numerical results rather than generalizations like "OK", "fine", "safe", "acceptable", etc. However since knowing your water quality is important, we suggest you get your own test kit. A drop kit is both more accurate and much less expensive per test than the test strips.

Photos can also be a big help!

This is the link:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...-water-quality-algae-fish-problems-etc.12395/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome! Cute little pond! What did you use to hold the water? liner? the outside of your pond is so pretty!

My guess from the picture is probably from lack of oxygen, since there's a lot of plants and pretty little place for fish. Did you find the dead fish in the morning?

ori

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi, thank you all!
I took your advice and went with a sample to the local fish store and the results were almost perfect! no ammonia just a little nitrate not something I need to concern about.
can the test point to lack of oxygen? I'v changed the direction of my small fountain to the center in order to create more ripples and more oxygen, hope it helps.
could be that the fish died from no a natural reason, though he was just 2 yo?
about the pond The outside is made from old railway sleepers with 3 tier construction inside and a liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Shalom Ori. I hope you can find out what happened to the fish. That's interesting you have a pond where you live. We have friends there that have seen our pond here in Chicago and they told us there wasn't enough water for them have a pond!

ori

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi, well I don't know why they told you that, maybe the water here is more expensive but surly water shortage is not one of our problems :):):)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ori what type of goldfish was it you had die ?
What did you notice when you found this fish anything you can remember is important

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
welcome . if you had pic of goldfish it would help more , you should do thinning of plants or arrange them at one corner , try to keep surface area open as much as u can , it will have good effect and also room for fishes to swim , also check if there are a lot of roots at the bottom , do you have submerged plants too?

we had one natural pond and stream behind last house it had rosy barbs , i used to catch them and put them in aquarium or pond , they are very hardy fish and fast they can multiply like rabbits in bigger pond

ori

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I don't know which type he was, plain 24 karat gold :). I'v noticed he had a small red mark on his belly.

I have kind of purple leaf plant which started as submerged but he came out and spread all over.
except one time which all the pool was filled with fish eggs non of them had reproduced.

most of the pool is occupied by plants should I dilute the plants?

Ask a Question