JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As some of you know, the ducklings hatched yesterday. Twelve ducklings from the thirteen eggs she laid! I knew one didn't make it, because it was cracked three days ago. To see that all the rest did was a surprise, because only six of twelve hatched last year.

This morning, I got up early to make sure I'd be there when they leave. I got to watch the whole process and it was a ton of fun! Just before 8am, Mrs. Duck hopped out of the window well and took a drink of water. The ducklings squeaked for her and she hopped back in. What I didn't realize at the time was that she was showing them how to do it. She did it three times. After the third time, she stayed out and started calling them. I wasn't sure if they'd figure it out, or if they could even jump out. I thought I might have to help. You'll see what happened in the video.

Some photos are included at the end of the video, but here's a bunch that I took:
IMG_2147 copy.jpg

IMG_2195 copy.jpg

IMG_2204 copy.jpg

IMG_2210 copy.jpg

IMG_2248 copy.jpg

IMG_2261 copy.jpg

IMG_2264 copy.jpg

Here's one of the last photos I took before they left.
IMG_2271.jpg

It was at this moment where the excitement of the morning turned to a bit of sadness to see them go. I've been watching Mrs. Duck for a month and a half now, really since Spring started. It's been a fun process. Now there's a bit of emptiness at the pond. No duck peeking out at me. No eggs incubating. It's weird. The ducklings will spend the next 70 days with their mom. Some will survive, some probably wont. She'll raise them and continue on with her life, and I expect she may nest here again next year for the third time. I sure hope so! Until then, the pond will go through another Summer, Fall, and Winter.

Coincidentally, another female has been at the pond all day since I woke up. You may spot her in the video. She seems to be a little sick. I believe that she is the female of the other pair that may be nesting in the area. She's been slow today, mostly sleeping in the shade. She's still out there tonight, which is odd. Hopefully she'll be alright. She saw all the ducklings today, and at one point, they ran up to her out of curiosity. She wanted nothing to do with that and walked away from them.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How cool JB. I would have never thought the babies could get out of that window well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Adorable! I didn't realize your window wells were so shallow - ours are all 3 feet deep! I was trying to picture that poor mama getting those babies out... but she did good!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is funny when you watch the video you find yourself trying to help push them out of the nest .It is so cute how they just follow along behind and mommy can keep count of them

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Made me so happy to see all those little babies running around so excited to be alive and looking at and tasting everything in sight. Neat to see their 1st swim ever in your pond. They just can't get enough of the big new and exciting world around them. I was waiting for you (grandpa) to help the last of the little ones out of that pit and I of course knew you would. Hope they all make it safely to their new home and sure hope ma ma comes back next year. Great pix and video's @JBtheExplorer Best movie I've seen in a long time and thank you for sharing :joyful:

Maybe you will see them down at their new pond on one of your hikes :happy:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How cool JB. I would have never thought the babies could get out of that window well.

Amazing how high they can jump consider they've hardly even moved around before that moment.

Adorable! I didn't realize your window wells were so shallow - ours are all 3 feet deep! I was trying to picture that poor mama getting those babies out... but she did good!

There are some deeper ones on the side of the house, but no where near 3 feet!
Over on the patio they're no deeper than a few inches.

How wonderful! I'm so pleased you were there to capture those special moments on film :love:

It was even better seeing it in person! Really glad I got to see it, and really hoping I'll get to see it again next year!

Made me so happy to see all those little babies running around so excited to be alive and looking at and tasting everything in sight.

It's amazing how much energy they have after hatching 24 hours earlier. They learn to walk, run, and jump quickly, and didn't even hesitate to step into the bog!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How adorable! Ducklings are so cool. And I'm glad they could swim when they were with mommy. duckling without mommy couldn't swim until about 4-6 weeks until they can produce their own oil! I wish they could stay a little longer. Wonder why they left right after hatch.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wonder why they left right after hatch.

They leave to find a larger body of water where they can be safe from predators. My pond is a little too small for them. I'd love for them to stay a while, but just happy I got to watch them leave!

I love the video, who cool it must have been to see all of that in person!

In person was 100x better! I'd like to say it was a once in a lifetime experience, but I really hope it becomes an annual experience.

Awwww! Such a good little momma! And so gentle and patient! Thanks for sharing!

She got a little nervous when I reached in to help the last three out, so I did it very slowly and carefully, while also being prepared to get away from them if needed. She watched carefully and I think she realized after the first two were out that the last one would be OK, too.

Ask a Question