The eternal dig

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh my gosh, you guys. I think there must have been another level to Dante's hell. And it was full of tree roots.

I have been working for about three hours most mornings, before the heat gets too crazy. I am working on removing a stump of a medium sized redbud tree and it is fighting me! I've been sawing, lopping, chopping, digging. It looks like I have most of the roots cut from the stump, but it is still not budging.

In the meantime, I'm finding big roots from the black gum in the yard and tackling them as I go.

On the plus side, I haven't saved enough money to go ahead and order my pond kit anyway, so that's OK.

But dang! I am tired!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Any problem with dirt, mud, and blades? I guess you just replace the blades when they get gunky, right?

I just googled Eastern Redbud root system. Wide spreading lateral roots AND a taproot. Yay! (Not.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When our pond was installed, they couldn't go as deep as we originally wanted, due to tree roots. They had to cut a big one, to fit the skimmer in.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Any problem with dirt, mud, and blades? I guess you just replace the blades when they get gunky, right?

I just googled Eastern Redbud root system. Wide spreading lateral roots AND a taproot. Yay! (Not.)
I got the "pruning" blades, and the longest they came in. It works better when the soil isn't too wet -- I just punch the blade into the dirt and pull until it hits the roots I want to cut. Eye protection is advisable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I read that the cordless ones don't have as much power as the corded ones. And of course, the corded ones won't run out of steam.

I guess I'm ok to use in moist soil, as long as it's not actually wet, right? Or am I going to electrocute myself?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
You could probably hire someone to come and dig it with a backhoe for a couple hundred bucks. Why put yourself through the misery?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You could probably hire someone to come and dig it with a backhoe for a couple hundred bucks. Why put yourself through the misery?
It's a challenge and I actually like to dig. Also, we have a somewhat small front yard with lots of existing landscaping (that I also did all by myself) and a nice lawn that I work really hard to keep pretty. I have to be somewhat careful. A backhoe would destroy all that. Not to mention there is no way to get a backhoe up in the front yard. It is an elevated lot that you step up to. (I just realized that description doesn't make a lot of sense. The lots are on a hill, terraced and subdivided by stone walls. You go up steps to get to the front yard and then it is walled on the other three sides. House on the fourth side.) Anyway, hand digging is the only option if I don't want to destroy everything.

It's my workout! I already feel stronger, so that's a plus! ;) I will get there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Addendum -- it's a good workout; I like to dig; it's the best option for our yard -- HOWEVER, I will still probably whine and complain about it. LOL!!!!!!!!!
If only we had a flying backhoe!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wish I'd started using a reciprocating saw earlier in my dig. It also allows you to cut the roots behind the soil face where you will place the liner. I didn't pull mine out until I got roots so big I couldn't handle them with the pruning shears.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I read that the cordless ones don't have as much power as the corded ones. And of course, the corded ones won't run out of steam.
IMHO, go with a corded one, unless you plan to spend a fortune on extra batteries!
It's a challenge and I actually like to dig.
It's my workout! I already feel stronger, so that's a plus! ;) I will get there!
OMG!!!! I can't believe it! I love to dig! I didn't know there were others out there.....
I wish I'd started using a reciprocating saw earlier in my dig. It also allows you to cut the roots behind the soil face where you will place the liner. I didn't pull mine out until I got roots so big I couldn't handle them with the pruning shears.
Exactly!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
TurtleMom -- my friends say I have some sort of problem... LOL! I dug our dry creek out by hand, and our lot is LONG! Something about conquering those giant red clay boulders is very satisfying. (Of course I did end up in physical therapy with a messed up shoulder. But I did it!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I got a Ryobi 12 amp recip. saw yesterday for 50 bucks. Got some pruning blades. Wish me luck! I'm going after that redbud stump today!!!!!!

Ask a Question