addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep, except mine never turns green, once I turn the pond back on it clears up from slightly murky to clear in a few days. I have enough plants already green, only a inch tall, they are already sucking out the algae nutrients.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My late winter/early spring algae bloom is always in the form of string algae on all the large rock surfaces. Once all the frog & toad tadpoles hatch & start their munching, though, (as well as the rest of the plants get growing) it all just disappears.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my water was murky the last couple years in the spring kinda looked like a blurry website not coming into focus. This year was an exception and I find it odd because i had tons of leaves etc in the pond all winter long.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The pond we shut down always got green in the spring. At over 5' deep with no plants it stayed that way till I got my window boxes started. Current pond had started to green up and when I started up the bog it got really murky. This morning already seeing a difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My bog has been running all winter.
The water is still crystal clear.
I can see some of the plants are in the very early stage of waking up.
A layer of green is forming all over, but as usual, that will subside as all the plants mature and the natural cycle kicks in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My water was crystal clear until a couple days ago - then the toads showed up to do their mass spawning & stirred everything up. Now it's a hazy mess until things settle down a bit. But, hey! The antics of those toads are really pretty entertaining!!
toads day 2 02.JPG
toads day 2 08.JPG
toads day 2 19.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
My late winter/early spring algae bloom is always in the form of string algae on all the large rock surfaces. Once all the frog & toad tadpoles hatch & start their munching, though, (as well as the rest of the plants get growing) it all just disappears.
That’s what I’m seeing this year (first spring with the pond). I tried buying a frog last year, but he left my pond. Would it be better for me to try buying several tadpoles from the pet store in hopes they decide to stay?
I have a small 800-1000 gal pond and live in NJ

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In my experience, if there are frogs (and/or other water loving creatures) in your area, they will find YOU. If you do decide to purchase tadpoles, make absolutely certain they are native to your area, that way if they do decide to move out you're not introducing an exotic to the area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That’s what I’m seeing this year (first spring with the pond). I tried buying a frog last year, but he left my pond. Would it be better for me to try buying several tadpoles from the pet store in hopes they decide to stay?
I have a small 800-1000 gal pond and live in NJ
Frogs and toads have naturally found my pond. They come back every year. Give it some time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think sometimes the tadpoles you can purchase end up to be bullfrogs. They will eat fish and even birds! If you can find tadpoles of frogs specific to your area, that would be fun. This little guy showed up in my pond!
IMG_0938.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All of mine just showed up, there were a few bull frogs, which have hopped away, have not seen them in years. Now toads, spring peepers, and green frogs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Last summer Mr. Big, the bull frog, dined regularly on birds (n) I relocated him to a larger natural pond. In the past I've always had green frogs and toads, both welcome.....but I'll rehome bull frogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wouldn't get any tadpoles from the pet store; I believe they are always bullfrog tads. I've tried to find other varieties and haven't had any success (leopard frog, pickeral frog, wood frogs, tree frogs, even green frog tads--luckiy I have a pond at the end of the street where I've relocated a few greens to MY pond).

Ask a Question