addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The frog has found its favorite place to sit, must feel protected. Not sure what kind of frog it is, does not quite look like the maryland green frogs we have a bunch of.

frogonallie.jpg

frogonallie1.jpg

And allie is protecting the fishes that cruise without a care.

The heron is still coming back, but now stays away from the pond, just wanders the gardens looking for bugs.
And takes one nice stretch.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with M-man on the gator being in the same place. Lets see how creative you are and see if you can rig up some sort of remote control device like a remote control boat and move it around the pond. You could sit inside and move it around.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, If the alligator head stays in the same place, the heron will figure out that it's not real.

It floats from one side of the pond to the other. I have it tied to a rock with a piece of fishing line, extra long, with a slight breeze it moves over a large area of the pond.
does not stay in any one place for long.

I agree with M-man on the gator being in the same place. Lets see how creative you are and see if you can rig up some sort of remote control device like a remote control boat and move it around the pond. You could sit inside and move it around.

Would just need to get one of the boats with a remote.....stick the boat under the head and push the button!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would think w/ the movement it has it will be fine. That's the way the real ones move. They just sit in one place for a long time then slowly cruise their pond. I don't think Harry is ever gonna leave. He really looks like he's comfortable and has made himself at home.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think w/ the movement it has it will be fine. That's the way the real ones move. They just sit in one place for a long time then slowly cruise their pond. I don't think Harry is ever gonna leave. He really looks like he's comfortable and has made himself at home.

He likes the fat juicy crickets we have an abundance of............they are bad this time of year and trying to get into the house for the winter.

Still won't let my pond guard down. almost thinking of getting allie a mate for the other end of the pond. ...................esp for when the lilies die off and the coverage is gone

allet.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Just think, Addy... next year you'll be selling all kinds of little baby plastic alligators! John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Addy is the one you have just a flat head cuz the one in the photo shows a whole body and open mouth and looks much scarier! Wish there was one that opened and closed it's mouth off and on.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
JW that gives me an idea. First make the gator mouth hinged so it can open and close, then somehow use one of her aerator lines to hook into it and use that to open and close. Sort of like the aquarium treasure chest that did this. Sort of like this one in the link, not sure how to do it but maybe she could work on it over the winter.

http://www.petco.com/product/110919...wel-Box-Treasure-Chest-Aquarium-Ornament.aspx

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The treasure chest works by trapping air in the lid - when there is enough air. the :wink: lid rises, releasing the air, and the lid settles again. This would work perfectly IF the gator were underwater! However, since this is not the case, perhaps Addy could use compressed helium feeding into the upper jaw until it gets light enough to rise, releasing the helium, and dropping shut! Or she could always run a fishing line over a support of some kind and tie it to the jaw so that it opens with a pull. Aren't we a helpful bunch! John :wink:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy is the one you have just a flat head cuz the one in the photo shows a whole body and open mouth and looks much scarier! Wish there was one that opened and closed it's mouth off and on.

It was one I was thinking of getting but after today not sure if worth it!

If a hinged mouth would work, I would do that next..............

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thanks jw, not sure what my next step will be.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here is what you need and it is terrific but would cost oh so much booko bucks!

Ask a Question